Foreward

What you are about to read is a Gen X story. Sure, these things happen to everyone, but generational differences often determine how we view them or react to them. Some of these things only Gen. Xers will understand.

What do you do when you meet someone you love more than life itself but are forced to let them go so they can experience life without attachment?

You have a choice if it is left up to you at all. Sometimes the choice of right or wrong is made for you. For me, this was not the case, not at all. But again, you have a choice to make. You can hold on to that person and love them, grow with them, and hope they don't have regrets, or worse, you don't have regrets. It might work out, and it indeed does sometimes. Of course, there would always be the might have been or could have been.

It's a chance. It wasn't the chance I was willing to take.I chose the other; I let them see and do things. The idea of even saying I let them makes me bristle with discomfort. I let them in that I did not stop them or try to convince them otherwise when they were vulnerable to suggestions. Was it the right choice? Of course, I can't answer that. I mean, life happened as it did. I can't be George fucking Bailey and have a clumsy angel come and show me multiverse. Life isn't like that is it? You are left to your own devices to make decisions that will undoubtedly cause ripples throughout your life.

Fair? I don't know. I don't even think it's a question of fairness. It's just how life is sometimes. Life, the universe, strange concepts are sometimes hard to get your mind around. You know the beginning and the end of my story with this person involved two chance encounters, one no more or less remarkable than the other.

The second one happened just now. No reason for it, no reason at all. My head is still spinning, thinking of all the improbabilities that had to be overcome to make it happen. It's mind-boggling. My life was at least predictable before today; now, it seems the universe is throwing me change-ups for some reason. Cosmologically it might be a hint to make changes if you go in for that sort of thing. Not sure I do, but I don't discount it either.

You know it's a weird thing to do, but I will talk about myself for a while. I am telling this story through my eyes. It might be self-serving, opinionated, sweet, and poignant (I wouldn't hold my breath for the last part). My heart took all the care and punishment; my mind did all the planning and plotting.

Writing is what I do. It helps me stave off death. It helps me in my endless attempt to understand love. It helps me, so it's what I do. What you'll read here is not life-changing. You may be able to relate on one or more levels. For what it's worth, I hope this helps you or keeps you entertained for a while in some small way. You are about to read a Gen X love story, so hang on because it will get strange at times. We'll begin with me. Stay tuned.