summer melodies : part 1

He pushes me against the wall, hard

He pushes me against the wall, hard. My head slams against the metal panels of the boat. His hands find my neck and my feet lift off the ground. I struggle to breath, his hands constricting my airways. He stays steady, looking at me like he's a hunter, and i'm his pray. Then an image flashes through my head. JJ, slipping his gun into my pocket when I wasn't looking. JJ. The gun, JJ's gun. I find my pocket and slip my hand inside, running my fingers along the cold metal before pulling it out and pressing it to my attackers temple. 

  "Put your hands on your goddamn head Rafe." I'm surprised when my voice comes out clear and steady. 

 "Ok, ok, listen Summer, I didn't want to hurt you, you-you were just too much of a danger. I was just trying to protect my family, you know?" When I look at him, I try to hate him. Instead all I feel is pity, like bile in my throat. 

  "You tried to kill me, Rafe." Rafe looks up at me, almost apologetically. He tries to get up, his hand outstretched as if he is going to comfort me. 

"Get the hell away from me!" It comes out high pitched, almost a shriek. He stumbles from my words, his face contorted mess. 

"Please, please Summer. Your not a pogue, your just confused." 

"I belong with the pogues, Rafe, you cant change that. Not you, and not Ward, so just stop trying." Rafe shakes his head, and gets up walking towards me. 

"Get back!" I say, holding the gun out in front of me, pointed at his chest. He keeps walking towards me. 

"Get back, Rafe, no Rafe stop!" 

"You wont shoot me." I shake my head, pointing the gun down. I only hesitate for a split second before pulling the trigger. He lets out an agonized yell and crumples to the floor. I dart out the door, climbing the stairs three at a time. I stand on the wide open deck, staring at the blank sea around me. They left me behind. They left me behind. shit. I hear Rafe climbing the stairs, his breathing heavy behind me. I run towards a tower of boxes, but im too late. 

"Summer", Rafe groans. He rocks back and forth, his hands clutching his bloody calf. Rafe yells something unintelligible, his bloody finger pointed at me. Without thinking, I dive into the water.  I hear the crew yell something as i'm in the air. The water hits me like a brick wall, the cold seeping into every crevice of my body. I see an islandin the distance. Slowly, I start stroking in that direction. My arms moving at a perfect rhythm,stroke after stroke towards the unknown.