daisies

His house smells like freshly baked banana bread and blueberry pancakes. My mouth waters from the delightful smells, and my stomach rumbles.  It's been almost a day since ive eaten, I realize. My face must have shown my feelings, because the man turns to me and says,

 "my wife just made pancakes, your welcome to as many as you would like." I try to decline his offer, not wanting to use his generosity, but my stomach grumbles louder.

"I think your stomach answered for you." He says, laughing a cheerful, booming laugh.

 "Thank you so much." 
"It's nothing, missy. What was I supposed to do, let you drown?"

"Let who drown?" A woman emerges in the doorway. Her dark, curly hair is pulled into a ponytail, her skin dark chocolate. 

"Eat as much as you like, hunny. Oh, Mike, look at her, she's skin and bones!" The woman squeezes my cheeks, her hands suprisingly rough. 

"Whose at the door?" a small voice from behind the woman in the doorway.

"Daisy, hun, this is..." She trails off, looking at me expectantly. 

"Lily. My name's Lily."  Daisy walks out from behind her mom, her dark hair swinging from side to side when she walks. she looks at me for a second, waiting, it seems, for something else. After a second she snaps out of it.

"Cool beans. I'm Daisy, you know, like the flower." She beckons me inside, waving her hand for me to follow.

 I dont know why I lied. This family seems trustworthy enough. I have to find my friends though, no matter the cost.