Chapter 29

Clara felt herself grow, and within seconds, she was standing back on the platform int he testing room of the Avengers compound. She felt the helmet retract off her head along with the rest of her suit, and she was left in her uniform. She looked around the room, and everyone else was looking around as well. Everyone had started to form smiled on their faces. Clara also noticed that Steve and Tony were wearing different clothes than what they left in. Tony was carrying a briefcase. We actually did it. We had the stones. Then a loud thud had caused everyone to turn their heads. Clint didn't share the same enthusiasm as the rest of the group. Clara didn't understand at first because he had the Soul Stone in his hand. He and Nat...Nat. Where was Nat?

"Clint? Are you okay?" Steve took a few steps towards Clint. He was staring straight ahead. Like he had just seen something that he couldn't get out of his head. Why wasn't Nat here?

"Where's Nat?" Bruce had beat Clara to ask the question. Partly because Clara was too scared to ask. The mood in the room had completely changed as soon as everyone realized something was horribly wrong. Suddenly, having all the stones didn't matter. Everyone was concerned for Nat.

Clint didn't answer though. He continued to stare, a haunted look on his face.

"Clint, what happened in Vormir?" Clara asked, trying not to let worry get the best of her. But it was still silent. Clint wouldn't...couldn't speak.

"WHERE'S NAT?!" Bruce repeated his question, but he sounded a lot angrier. It was when Clint finally looked up, and his eyes were glassy from tears forming in his eyes that everyone was finally able to realize what had actually happened to Nat. Clara felt her jaw get heavy, and she covered her mouth with her hand in an attempt to keep herself from crying. Across from her, she saw Rhodey bow his head a bit; Tony and Steve shared sad, defeated glances. Thor was pacing back and forth as Rocket watched. Nebula...well Nebula just stood there. Clara, dare she say, thought that Nebula even looked a bit confused. Her black eyes looked...blank. As if that emotions she saw in her on Morag was gone suddenly.

A loud bang, followed by vibrations in the platform they stood on made Clara jump, and it had drawn Clara's attention back to what was happening now. And that was that Nat died. But Clara's mind couldn't comprehend it. Even though it felt longer, it has only been a minute total when they left and arrived. How can Nat die in a minute.

"Tony, why don't we go outside...on the dock." Steve suggested, and Tony agreed silently. Steve and Tony slowly walked off the platform, and Thor followed closely behind. Clint, who had been on the ground the entire time, finally stood up as well, without saying a word, and followed the other three. Bruce was the last one to get up, wiping the tears off his face with his giant palm. Rocket was about to go follow them as well, but Clara told him not to.

"I...I think we should let them mourn on their own. They've known her the longest, and they are her closest family." Rhodey gave Clara nod of approval.

"Why don't we...get rested up? Have a moment to ourselves." They all nodded in agreement. Rhodey left the platform first, followed by Rocket. Scott, who was very quiet, left as well. Clara was also headed off the platform, but she heard a faint noise behind her. She turned around, and she saw that Nebula was at the control panel for the machine.

"Nebula?" Nebula looked right at her, and she looked almost...threatening for a moment. "Are you coming?" Nebula, still standing at the panel, gave a small nod.

"Just out of curiosity...how do you work this again?" Clara wasn't sure why she asked that. Nebula wasn't one to crack jokes, but maybe that was her way of coping with loss?