𝙭𝙭. between two sides

( CHAPTER TWENTY: BETWEEN TWO SIDES )September, 1992

September, 1992

❝  you need to choose what's really best for you. ❞

Guilt started to soak across Devon's body like a wet blanket. A second ago, he felt so much heat, so much ardent passion bubbling in his stomach the second he looked at Janet, the woman of his dreams. But now Devon realised that something stood in the way of his perfect fantasy, and that was his girlfriend. He had to be sick in the head to flip the blame like this, but alas, Devon Emmet to elevate in the clouds instead of floating back down to reality.

"N-Nikki," Devon's weak voice came out in the painful silence, worn eyes staring at the heartbroken female that stood in the doorway. Janet swivelled her body around, her face darkening when she made eye contact with Nikki, realising that she watched as her boyfriend was moments away from cheating on her.

Devon didn't know what to do. He's never been in a situation like this before. He didn't know whether to beg, apologise or do the complete opposite and tell her the truth, the ultimate truth that solidified his betrayal: he felt something for another woman. So much so that he was willing to give into the temptation and surrender his mind, body and soul to her.

It seemed like the three of them stood frozen in those same spots for an extended period of time. Devon shook his head, instantly remembering that he was in the wrong. The dancer bolted to his feet, shoes softly skidding forward to approach his girlfriend apologetically. However, before his tight throat could muster up some apology, her face crinkled with a frightening amount of anger.

"Nikk—"

"—You," Nikki turned to Janet, who was sitting down on the couch uncomfortably, "You slut!"

The female attempted to launch forward, but Devon held her back, taken by surprise at her sudden aggression. The second Nikki felt Devon's touch, she felt repulsed. Janet watched the entire thing with agitation, her stomach twirling with anxiety as she kept silent, desperately wanting to keep out of the couple's fight, even if she couldn't.

"Get off me!" Nikki yelled, fighting against Devon's strong grip. The dancer felt her nails dig into his skin, and he felt his grip loosening. Devon tried to hold onto her so that he could explain himself, but before he could even think about a good apology, the rogue female stormed away from the two in a heap of anger and embarrassment.

Devon's heart began to boom with panic. His eyes flew to Janet, who bowed her head in shame. She too felt guilty, shocked even, but he knew that he shouldn't look to her for answers. This was his fault, his mess, and he had to clean it up, quickly. "Nikki, wait!" Devon yelled, jogging after his girlfriend who was desperate to get the hell away from him.