Arc 2 Chapter 11.1

Laurent clattered down the stairs at the second ring of the bell. He'd ignored the first, until he remembered Leeanna did the grocery shopping today and Allie had swapped his days off to spend time with a friend who'd come to town.

He was dressed, barely, as he was fresh out of the shower, and he'd left Gabe dozing adorably, snuffling into the pillow.

He rubbed a small towel over his still-damp hair as he swung the door open.

"Hello?"

The skinny middle-aged man in a smart, pale gray suit stared back at him, nonplussed. "Oh, I'm sorry, I was expecting Monsieur Girard."

"I am Monsieur Girard," he responded, trying to keep the laugh from his voice.

The man looked bemused, furrowing his brow, until Laurent took pity on him.

"I'm Laurent Girard, François' brother. Can I help?"

"I was actually hoping to see Gabriel. I've been told he's staying here."

Laurent looked at him for a long moment, warring emotions running through him – partially fear as to what conflict this stranger might cause for his boy.

"May I ask your name?"

"Oh, apologies. Yes, I'm Quentin Brubaker, the Director of the New York Conservatory."

That was where Gabe had gone to school, though he doubted the man would be here himself for unpaid fees or the like. Brubaker seemed to recognize his uncertainty.

"I have good news, if that helps?"

"Please, come in. I'll see if he's receiving visitors."

Something about the staid countenance of the man seemed to suit old-fashioned language. Brubaker certainly didn't seem like a threat, but Laurent wouldn't be forcing Gabe to see him, regardless.

He left the man in the living room and went to find Gabe, who was just drying off after his own shower.

"I wondered where you'd gone." He spoke casually, but Laurent could hear the tremor in his voice that belied his true feelings.

"I wouldn't have gone out without letting you know," he said, simply. It was true. Though he didn't yet know the full impact of Gabe's trauma, he knew enough to understand the boy needed someone reliable who treated him as valuable. "There was someone at the door. A Mr Brubaker."

"Oh! I wonder what he wants."

Gabe didn't seem fazed, so Laurent left him to dress and went back down to offer Brubaker a drink. When he came back in with coffees for all of them, Gabe was there, apparently happy to talk. When he told Brubaker he was considering taking a job playing in a club – he judiciously made no mention of the type of club – the man tapped his chin thoughtfully.

"I'm glad you've continued your practice. Actually, that's what I'm here for. Of course, when you didn't respond to the Philharmonic's offer, they had to offer it to their second choice."

Gabe opened his mouth, closing it with a slam, as if realizing he didn't want to justify his decision. Laurent took his hand, squeezing it lightly, and received a sweet smile in return.

"The young lady they hired is taking some time away because she's had a baby. They're looking for a temporary replacement for the twelve months she's chosen to take. Gabriel, they've specifically asked to see you again, before they go through the full recruitment process. If you're interested?"