Chapter 3: The Village of Stone-down

The daughters woke up feeling refreshed and full, not just with food but with the prospect of their future. They had breakfast with the family and then the work began.

May and Naiya stayed with Margret and helped her wash the clothes, prepare their evening meal, and did all sorts of chores. In between, the women would go out with the girls to see the village.

Ellen and Bea chatted all the way. They were so proud of their guests as they introduced them to the villagers.

Most of them greeted the women politely while others just nodded and then quickly walked away. The women noticed the suspicion in the eyes of the villagers, and they wondered as to what would cause such behaviour.

All their weapons were hidden, and they wore a simple get up of a dress shirt, trousers, and boots. They had let their hair down which the young girls of Peter and Margret eagerly asked to play with.

But soon they wouldn't have to wonder because towards the end of the day, there was a crowd at the entrance of Peter and Margret's home.

May and Naiya were at the back of the house sharpening their swords and cleaning their blades when they heard the voices.

They walked in through the back door and saw Peter standing in the front entrance. Margret saw them come in and walked over to them.

"What's going on," Naiya asked.

"They're complaining about you," she answered and ushered them away from the front entrance.

"About us? What did we do?" May asked, slightly worried.

Margret sighed. "Peter's brother, Cyrus, is the village elder. As elder he has to know about everything that takes place. Last night when you arrived, Cyrus didn't know anything about you. It was at night and no one really could see you. But after the girls took you out today, the rest of the village became concerned that Peter was smuggling people in," she explained.

"That's not true!" Naiya exclaimed indignantly.

"Don't worry yourself, my dear," Margret said and placed a hand on Naiya's shoulder. "Peter and his brother will sort things out. You just remain here, and we'll tell you what the elder decrees." She gave them a reassuring smile before going to her husband.

By that time Cyrus, the village elder, had approached the crowd. He saw Peter's concerned face and knew that it was a matter that could only be resolved if they spoke alone.

Cyrus sent the villagers away with the promise of doing something about the 'strange women'.

By the time Cyrus and Peter entered the house, May and Naiya were out of sight but well within hearing range. They sat outside and listened to the men.

"The people are right, Pete," Cyrus said as they sat down. Margret placed cups of tea in front of the men and then left them to talk. "You should've told me."

"It was at night, Cy. I wasn't going to bang on your door and disturb your supper," Peter replied.

Cyrus nodded in agreement to the logical explanation. He knew his brother and trusted him, so he wasn't really worried.

"Well, they're here now," the elder said and took a sip of his tea.

Peter sighed. "What did you want me to do? I couldn't leave them. They're women. I couldn't just leave them to starve."

At his statement, Naiya grew angry and was readying herself to charge in but May placed a hand on her shoulder to stop her. They couldn't disturb them.

"From what the people say they seem pretty well off," Cyrus said.

"Money can't always solve your problems," Peter pointed out. The men were quiet as a heaviness descended upon them.