Chap. 11 (yes, we're back.)

Welcome back, my loves.
It's about time I brought this story back from the dead, don't you think?

Sorry it took so long to find the fire again <3

This new island ahead of us looked like a rocky desert fortress, with no sign of life whatsoever - no plants or animals in sight.

Reep was the first to voice what everyone was thinking.

"I doubt the Lords stopped here, my liege," he said, sniffing the air, "There's no sign of the living."

"Right, but once we're ashore you all can look for food and water," Caspian replied optimistically, rowing steadily from the rowboat he, myself, Lucy, and Edmund rode in. Behind us sat Eustace, hunched over like a scared puppy.

"The four of us will look for clues," Caspian continued to speak to Reep, but the rodent warrior wasn't able to reply after Eustace spoke up.

"Four of us? You mean the five of us," he said incredulously, like he was surprised Caspian dared to leave him out.

Simultaneously, the four of us turned to send Eustace looks of complete irritation and disbelief.

"Don't send me back to the rat," Eustace whined in return, mostly making pleading eye contact with me.

I shrugged, but Reepicheep spoke up before I could, muttering, "I heard that!"

"Big ears. . ." grumbled Eustace, and from the other rowboat, Reep chuckled, "I heard that too!"

Once we made it to shore, I noticed Eustace was more than eager to hop out of the boat and begin to wander off, grumbling about us being "fools".

I rolled my eyes, but I didn't call him out - at least, not loud enough for the others to hear.

"Eustace!" I hissed, jogging a bit so I was closer to him. The boy stopped, looking back at me with a scowl. "What?"

"Don't wander too far, alright?" I told him, trying to keep my tone light. I almost felt bad for him - he felt like he didn't belong with us, and probably needed some alone time. I wasn't going to stand in his way.

Eustace seemed surprised I wasn't trying to hold him in place, so after he gasped a bit, he pursed his lips and sent me a curt nod before trampling off into the rocky wilderness.

"Don't touch anything!" I shouted, hoping he wouldn't go getting himself into any trouble.

Caspian and Edmund took the lead as Lucy and I trailed behind them. They spoke of someone else possibly being on the island before us, but I didn't listen too much to their conversation. I was too focused on Lucy. She seemed more like herself lately, but she also seemed. . .wary. Like she was scared to mess up.

I could have turned my nose up and not bothered to try to help, but that wasn't me. Lucy and I needed to mend whatever was going on - though, admittedly so, she was the problem.

"Luce?" I began quietly, slowing down a bit so we were side by side. She sent me a tiny look before averting her eyes. I continued, "Are you alright?"

Lucy grimaced, sighing as she gnawed at her lip. She seemed nervous.

"You've got something on your mind, so spill it," I tried to pry, knowing that she clearly had something to get off her chest. "Was it the storm last night?"