Chap. 4

Trigger Warning: Intense and detailed anxiety attack.  Some minor mention of sexual harassment.

• • •

As Edmund and I fought, side by side, I noticed two men hauling off Eustace, covering his mouth and holding his arms back.

Edmund was busy with another fighter, so I dashed towards Eustace and didn't hold back.

Creating a slate of ice under their feet, one of them fell and was knocked out immediately, while the other caught my eye and jumped towards me. He was the largest man I've ever seen, towering above me with shoulders wide and muscular. He had one eye, and black markings on his scarred skin.

I would be lying if I said he didn't scare me.

I clenched my jaw and propelled myself towards him, kicking up and slamming my foot into his sternum.

We were both knocked off balance, but I hopped up and kicked at his kneecap, missing by mere centimeters. I punched his gut, but he caught my hand and pulled me towards him, turning me so my back was to his chest.
He hooked his arm around my neck, suddenly cutting off my air.  He was choking me with violent force, making me start to see black dots in my vision.

I elbowed him, but he wouldn't budge, his arm not moving. I clamped both hands around his arm, the skin scarred over and rough. I felt the familiar cool chill of ice flood from my palms and onto his arm, but he didn't move. I tried again, this time using pin-like spikes of ice. It didn't work.

For the first time since Miraz had tried to kill me ... I was panicked and terrified.

I couldn't breathe. I couldn't even scream.

My head felt like it was about to explode, the blood rushing to it.

Adrenaline kicked in and I slammed my foot onto his ankle bone. I felt it shatter under my weight and I knew I broke it.

The man immediately let go and I quickly spun around and sent an ice spike straight through his torso, killing him instantly.

I caught my breath, and shook off the shaking fear that rose in my chest. Two more men fought with me, but I defeated them gracefully, their fight not as intense as the first man's.

The fight was over quickly, our crew getting out of it with only a few scratches.

Most of the townspeople didn't want to harm us, and were happy to see the dangerous men defeated.

Eustace was shaken up, the poor boy's hands quivering as he latched onto my sleeve, not wanting to leave my side. At first I was irritated, but then flattered - he witnessed me defeat the gigantic man from before. Eustace must of thought I was the toughest and therefore the safest to stay near.

It was a nice ego boost, but Edmund wasn't happy with the attention Eustace was giving me. His intentions were harmless, of course - Eustace didn't even seem to have a crush on me, only seeing me as a protector. But Edmund saw differently. His eyes were narrowed, not because of the bright sun. His mouth was downturned in a scowl, but not because he was tired of fighting. He dragged Eustace off towards Reepicheep, leaving me alone.

Of course, it wasn't just Eustace - I received lots of stares from a group of townspeople - including a posse of young boys, maybe 14-18 years old. They had seen me fight and conquer. I wasn't interested, obviously - I had Edmund. He was much more handsome than the towns boys.