Prologue

The waves crashed against the ship, rocking it back and forth.

I was used to the motion by now - every night for three months I had fallen asleep to the back and forth rhythm.

My bunk wasn't as large as my castle bedroom, but still a nice size and intricately decorated. I had a purple bed blanket and white sheets.  The wood around me was dark mahogany.  My desk was tidy, books telling of the tales of the Kings and Queens of Old, plus my journals and sketchbooks.  Two chests were filled with simple clothes - leggings and skirts, as well as belts and flowy shirts.

Edmund's torch laid on my nightstand - that, plus a small painting of him and I, something I had requested to be created by a peasant painter.  She had done a wonderful job, even though she was painting him based on my description.

The painting showed us dancing, close together and dressed in fine clothes.  We were smiling and embracing each other.

The painting was a beautiful, heartbreaking reminder of something I might never have.

I had never gotten the chance to dance with Edmund - one of my biggest regrets.

I laid there in my bunk, the small chandelier above me swaying slightly, rocking to the motion of the ship.

I debated whether or not to go talk to Reepicheep - the rodent and I became close very quickly on the journey at sea.  Caspian was busy captaining the ship, while I was in charge of defending the ship if anyone attacked - no one had come to attack us so I felt quite useless.

Reepicheep was a great listener and I leaned on him for support...mostly because I was scared for Edmund's return.

His torch was glowing dimmer each day.

That night, I lied awake, staring at my swinging chandelier.

After a while, I heard seagulls squawking, signaling the sun had risen.

I rolled out of bed and grabbed the torch, clicking the small button.

The light never turned on.

I felt myself stop breathing.

This couldn't be happening.

I clicked the button more, then started hitting the handle, like I could somehow knock the power back on.

It didn't work.

I started slapping the torch like a maniac, sobs echoing from my room.

I knew the whole crew could probably hear me.  I didn't care.  This was the last bit of hope I had, and it was gone.

I started shouting his name, over and over, praying that maybe Edmund would appear.

He didn't.

The light still didn't turn on.

Caspian came barreling into my room, Reepicheep on his heels.

He saw me in my terrible state, and quickly grabbed me, wrapping his arms around me protectively, holding up my shaking frame.

Reepicheep grabbed the torch from my hands and placed it gently on a table, his face downcast.

I couldn't stand any longer, so Caspian guided me to the floor and I stayed there for what felt like forever, hot tears flooding down my face.  Caspian stayed strong the whole time, whispering comfort in my ear and rubbing my back.  Reepicheep stood by and patted my shoulder. I heard Caspian tell Reep to inform the crew of what was the cause of the commotion.

Commotion.

I was making a commotion.

I didn't care.

Edmund was gone, and so was all of my hope in his return.