Chapter 37

I look at JC as we walk in to the doctor's office. He smiles and squeezes my hand. "Okay. Amanda Caylen?" Asks the nurse. "Yes." I say. "Dr. Jones is ready." She says, and goes back to her work. We walk in, and the doctor starts my check-up. "So, you took a pregnancy test," she starts. "Yes. We did." I say. "And it was positive. And we've come in one other time, to make sure." I say. The doctor nods. "So, we'll start by weighing you. Step on the scale." I do, but very slowly. "Ninety-six pounds." She says. "Ninety-six." I say. JC smiles. "Below 100." He says. "Below 100." I smile. It was a weak smile, but I smiled. We then go to my height. "Five feet, two inches." She says. "That's a big height difference." She says. We go back in to the room. "He's only a head taller than me." I say. "Yes." She says. "Now. On to the baby!" She puts the gel on my belly, and then the probe. She smiles, and then her smile dissipates to a frown. "The baby should be here." She says. I squeeze JC's hand. "Let's try a different place." She says, moving the probe about six inches. "This is never fun." She says. JC'S eyes look like someone just killed Jackson. "It seems as if you've miscarried."