Chapter 28: Two Weeks.

Chresanto’s POV:

The roommate they gave me was a light-skinned guy named Sean Mayborne. He kind of looked like Janelle’s father. My dorm room was big, with two beds, computer, and a flat screen TV.

I was getting along with Sean pretty well. He’s a chill guy, and he doesn’t seem to have a problem with being here. I’ve been trying to act like him. I’ve been trying to act like everything’s okay, like being here isn’t that bad. But in my heart of hearts, I’m angry as hell.

I’m angry with Janelle’s parents for being so mean to her. She didn’t deserve to be here. She just wanted to take control of her life; why is that a problem? Why do they have to put so many restrictions on her?

I’m angry at Bianca’s mom, too. I mean, at least she didn’t punish Bianca. But she could’ve persuaded Janelle’s mom to let Janelle stay so they could continue on with C.L.E.O together. She could have even talked to Janelle’s father.

But, no. No one tried for them, no one tried for us. So we’re here.

“Your mom sent you?” Sean asked me as we sat in the dorm, feeling like two aimless college kids in a place we don’t fit into. I nodded. As for my mother…I was still in shock where she was concerned. I haven’t spoken to her, or even seen her, for so long that I feel like I’m in no place to be upset with her. She should be upset with me. I could have called her all these months, and I didn’t.

I neglected her.

“Yeah.” I replied.

“I get why she sent you and all, but why did she send you before the others?” Sean asked.

“What do you mean? What others?”

He simply pointed to the TV, which was on the news now. They were showing an interview with two boys talking about ‘temporary retirement’ and ‘organizing priorities’. I looked closer at the TV, and closer again, and then realized who those two boys were.

It was Ray-Ray and Prodigy.

“We would really like to apologize to the fans, and we don’t want to discourage anyone, but we think it’s about time that we take a few weeks to attend to the more important things; like school.” Ray explained to the interviewer. I couldn’t take my eyes off the screen.

“So you think education is more important than the music, do you?” The interviewer asked.

“Well, yeah. It’s God first, and then education. Everything else falls behind.” Prodigy replied.

“But why boarding school? Do you think it’s easier that way?” The interviewer asked, genuinely confused.

“Yes. It’s easier, more personal, and discreet. It’s just better for everyone.” Ray-Ray said.

“The boarding school is called Wesley Prestigious. We hope our time there will be great.”

I turned off the TV after that. I didn’t even know what to think. It didn’t make sense. Why would they be coming here? Were they coming to be with Janelle and I? How do they even know where we are? Is Prince coming too?

All these questions swarmed around in my head while I tried to figure out an answer to Sean’s question.

“Um…she sent me before them because…I was just more ready than them to go, I guess. “ I said. I had to maintain my “cool-guy” persona. I couldn’t act nervous or surprised now; not after things were going so well.

“I’m going to sleep. Wake me up when they bring the uniforms.” I said, lying down on my bed and closing my eyes. Hopefully when I woke up, I’d see that this was all a dream.

“Cool. Sweet dreams, bro.”

                                                                    * * *

Despite how foreign the uniform was to my style, I felt better in it. I wanted to blend in with the rest of the bland crew for now. I can’t tell you what they were doing with my clothes. They just came, dropped off the uniforms, and took our street clothes. I don’t want them back, though. I feel like a criminal that did a crime in those clothes; they could burn them as far as I was concerned.

Fortunately, they weren’t forcing us to start classes today. I got a copy of my class schedule though; it was stuff like Calculus 1 and Intro To Technical Engineering, and other classes that I knew I would fail.

I also got to meet the principal today, along with Sean, a girl named Mavia, and Janelle. We were all in his office together but we couldn’t talk to each other. I only got to share a few smiling glances with Janelle, and then our moment was over. We were taken to a large cafeteria for lunch, where I got to give out about a hundred autographs and hugs.

The usual BS.

But after that was over, an automatic wall descended from the ceiling, separating the girls and boys. Us guys were locked away from the girls once again. It was torture.

“You’re not hungry?” A boy named David asked me. I shook my head.

“It’s not that. I’m just waiting for somebody.” I replied. I kept looking out the cafeteria’s large window; all it allowed me to do was stare out into the forest-like scenery outside the building, with leaf-less trees coated with white snow. I didn’t even know when it had started snowing.

“Oh, the others, right?” David asked. I nodded.

Since when did my friends become ‘the others’?

About ten minutes later, they showed up. I could see the three of them dressed in the craziest clothing, walking up to the building. They actually weren’t dressed crazy; I had just been staring at these plain uniforms too long.

When they walked into the cafeteria, they had to pass the girls’ side first. They spent a while over there, probably giving out autographs. It seemed like forever before they got to my table.

“Hey, good old friend.” Prod said when he sat down, like this wasn’t a big deal. Prince just  nodded at me; he shouldn’t have much to say, since I just saw him.

Hi.” I said dramatically.

“You know, if we weren’t around so many witnesses, I’d punch you in the face right now.” Ray said to me.

“Oh really?”

“Yeah. You left us hanging. You’re lucky your mama sent you here. If it wasn’t for that, we couldn’t have come up with this plan.” He continued.

“Well, could you fill me in on the plan a little bit please? I’m kind of confused here.” I said, getting annoyed with his smart mouth. Sarcasm was the last thing I needed right now.

“We just figured we’d come here, learn some stuff, and then the four of us would leave again to go back on tour a few weeks from now.” Prince explained.

“What about Janelle?”

“What about her?”

“How do you intend to get her out?” I asked.

“Her parents can figure that out, Roc. She’s not our problem.” Ray said.

Those words gave my heart a shock. To think that my boys wouldn’t feel the same concern about my girlfriend that I do…

“She may not be your problem, but she’s mine.” I said to him. He shrugged his shoulders in a ‘whatever’ manner.

“So you with us or what?” Prod asked me. Just as he asked, the bell rang. I stood up and dusted off my shirt.

“I’m giving this two weeks. Two.” I said.

And I meant it.