Chapter 32: The Unexpected

Chresanto’s POV:

Our suspensions were cut short. I tried asking Janelle why, but she’s been avoiding me lately. Not that I mind, though. The more she avoids me, the more time I have to figure out what to do about Janelle.

I’ve already figured out a thorough plan as to how the boys and I are gonna break out. Spending time in the meat kitchen pays off. The chef filled us in on how the school works, from exits and entrances to guards and their shifts. It was pretty silly of him. He basically gave us the key out.

From the information he gave us, I was able to put together a plan. It took some editing, but Prod and I think it’s perfect now. We’re the only ones that tried to make it good. Ray and Prince just wanted to leave.

I feel bad for Sean, too. I made good friends with him, and leaving without him is gonna hurt me. I didn’t tell him about the plan, because he would want to come too, and it only works for four people.

“I heard the chef let us stop working because of something Janelle did.” Ray-Ray said. I shrugged. It didn’t matter to me how it happened.

“At least we have more time off. Now we can execute the plan even earlier.” I replied, throwing a bouncy ball at the wall.

Prince looked at me. “What you mean by, even earlier?”

I looked at him, and then laughed. “I mean, like, tonight.” Prince was evidently surprised. The other guys didn’t know what I meant, but they didn’t seem to care as much as Prince did.

“Is there something wrong with that?” Prod asked. Prince shrugged, but looked down guiltily at his shoes. Something was up with him. I groaned. He always has to be the soft one, the one to take precautions. Prod’s responsible, but he’s not even as annoying as Prince can be.

“Nothing, it’s just that…don’t you guys think that we should take a few more days to reconsider this? The plan isn’t perfect yet.” He said.

“Yes it is.” I replied quickly.

“You don’t know that. We could get caught. Let’s make sure everything is okay first.”

I shook my head. “Look, you’re not going to start this, Prince. You can either grow the balls to do this with us and get out of here, or you can stay here for a semester until your parents come for you. But I know, either way, I’m leaving.”

Prince sighed, and agreed to come with us. He looked really worried, though. It was starting to get to me. What if this wasn’t one of his baby episodes? What if he was really right, and there could be some glitches in the plan that we didn’t catch?

No. I couldn’t think about that. Because if I did, I wouldn’t leave. And I have to.

                                                         * * *

Classes were still in session. It was Thursday, so class time was extended three more periods. That meant the hallways would be empty, besides security cameras and guards. Normally, the hallways would be completely littered with guards in uniforms, keeping their eyes open for intruders or escapers.

Luckily, though, it was Thursday. On Thursdays, the guards have dinner and rum with the chef.

Most of the guards are usually down in the kitchen with the chef at this time. Only a few guards stay to watch the halls. But the guards that go down to party with the chef know that they really aren’t supposed to be there. So they cut off all the cameras from the second floor down, even in the basement and boiler room.