Ch. 18

꧁꧂

I walk up to the corner and wait behind a wall. I want the element of surprise. I remain relaxed. I'm curious to see if he'll even show up. Never mind; he's here! I can't believe he's actually going ahead with this.

He stands and waits. He looks down at his phone and leans back against the wall. Now seems like a good time to approach him.

"What the fuck are you doing Kaise?" I ask, leaving from behind the wall.

He looks at me with wide eyes. "D-Did Dex call you?"

I nod. "Why are you doing this?"

He exhales. "Because I need something to pick me up. I'm fucking miserable without you." He says rushed. He sounds like he's trying his hard to not raise his voice.

"Jesus Christ. You act like you live just for me." I shake my head, glaring at him. I cross my arms over my chest and stare intensely.

He shrugs. "April. I have known you for exactly two months. I told you I loved you three weeks ago. I can't even remember what my life was like three months ago. Just that I was having occasional short relationships that meant nothing to me. I need you in my life in order to actually... live." He cries, raising his voice slightly as he stands up straight and places a hand on his heart. "I will never meet anyone anywhere near as good as you. I will never have a connection with anyone as good as this one. I need to cheer up because only when I had you did I realise that I haven't been truly happy for years. I haven't had a normal life, I killed my first man at the age of 13 protecting Bonnie when Dad was shot in the chest. That's not fucking normal and you're the only thing that makes me feel ordinary." His eyes well up. "I've witnessed my Mum get beaten up in front of me, I've watched Bonnie almost get attacked whilst my hands were tied. I have been shot and stabbed when I wasn't even twenty. I need you in my life to make me feel good."

"K-Kaiser." My eyes water too. "I-I- I don't know what to say." I take his hand off his chest and pull him close to me. "I didn't realise how bad this life has been for you. You should have told me." Shit, I've had that much of an impact on him?

He sighs. "I didn't want to risk losing you." He hangs his head down. "But it seems I already have."

I squeeze his hand and pull him closer. I wrap my arms around his body and he rests his head onto my shoulder. I stroke his hair as he breathes against my neck making my hair stand up and me wanting to shiver. "Don't say that. You're not losing me, so don't say it."

"I'm sorry for everything April. I'm sorry for what happened with Marie. I'm sorry that you've been stabbed, shot and hurt. I'm sorry that this has all happened to you and it's all my fault. I'm sorry for letting you fall in love with me."

"Kaiser, I knew what I was getting into but it was worth it. I had you. I have you." I pull away with the hug and hold his face in my hands. I want to kiss him and tell him everything is going to be absolutely fine.

A cackle of thunder breaks out above us. I jump and pull Kaiser closer to me. "April, I-"

"Forget it for now. Come on, it's going to rain soon. Let's go to Jack's and get you calmed down, okay?" I tell him, gripping his hand tightly.

"Alright." He replies. He looks down at our hands and I see a sad smile break onto his face.

I take his hand and pull him in the direction of Jack's building. His hand occasionally squeezes mine like he's holding me so I won't let go. I enter the flat and see Jack stood in the kitchen.

"How did it-" he stops as he sees Kaiser. His eyes widen a little. "You okay, bro?"

"Hi Jack." Kaiser says awkwardly, sniffling still.