Ch. 50

"Woah, woah, woah!" Bates says, stepping back and grabbing a hold of his wife to pull her from danger.

"Shit, shit. Ruby get off of him!" I shout, grabbing her waist and lifting her up.

"What the fuck?" Rubina says as I place her onto her feet. "Since when the fuck could you lift me up?"

"Alex works for us now." I tell her, ignoring her question and holding her at arms length whilst Alex gets himself off the floor.

"I don't care. I've thought about how much I want to punch his stupid smug little face for months." She declares, pointing a finger at him. "Months."

"Okay, what happened?" Gold asks, his arms crossed. He knows I met Alex on holiday when I met Javier so I'm sure he's figured out that he also met Rubina and Rachel at this point.

"Nothing." Alex shrugs. "Literally noth-"

"Nothing, my ass." Rubina says, standing beside her father with her arms also crossed. "I was this guys assignment just like Dylan was Rachel's and Javier was April's." She explains.

"Oh, really," Gold asks, lowering his hands to his side and stepping closer to him.

"Cillian, don't." I tell him, stepping between the two. "Come on, he made mistakes. We gave him a second chance after he shot me."

"Yeah, exactly!" Alex defends himself. "Please we never would have taken them. Javier had his eyes on April from the beginning. Dylan and I just played distractions."

Gold sighs and lowers his defence, leaning back a little.

"What the fuck is going on?" Alex mutters. "What the fuck are they even doing here?"

"These are Gold's kids." Bates introduces them.

"Jesus fucking Christ." Alex almost laughs, "small world." He rubs his hair stressfully.

Gold's eye flickers and he scowls so I turn back to Alex and tell him to go to his room whilst everyone calms down. "That boy." Gold says as he shakes his head and then notices Kelly. "Hello Love."

"Hi, Gold." Kelly smiles. "Sorry I didn't have chance to say hi before, we just flew in and sped off again to see Kaiser."

"Ah, yes." He nods and steps aside. "Kelly, you may remember my girls."

Kelly smiles. "God I haven't seen you since you were babies!" She squeals and gives them a hug each. "I am so glad to see that the curls have remained intact Florence." She adds, running a finger through her hair.

"Florence?" Rachel looks confused.

"It's Rubina, now." I say for her but if anything it adds further to Rachel's confusion.

"What?"

I look over at Gold. "Cillian, maybe you should have a chat with them. Let them know why you really left." I persuade. "I can stay if you'd like?"

"Please." He nods. "Girls, let's get some privacy." He says.

I know that him referring to his daughters brings a huge smile to his face and warm feeling inside. I can't help but smile as I catch his eye. We enter the dining room, shutting the door and taking a seat.

"So my name actually is Florence then? Mum told me it was just a nickname because I looked like my grandma. What's going on?"

"The day I left you girls was a bad day. I'm sure you're aware how difficult and scary my job can be. I don't know if April has told you anything about what we do but there's risks." He explains, watching his own hands as he talks. "On the last day we were together, the three of us were out in the car. Another vehicle began to shoot at us and I had to drive quite erratically to get away. I told you to both hide under my jacket as I couldn't stand the thought of you seeing me shooting at other people. Of course Rachel, you were only in a booster seat at the time and as I turned a corner, you came flying out and knocked Rubina out with your seat." He gulps.