A cold night turned warm

WARNING: SELF HARM! DON'T READ IF THAT TRIGGERS YOU!

I sat in the back of the classroom, trying my hardest not to cry. Thump! A paper ball hit me in the head. I left it on the floor since I knew it wasn't going to be anything pleasant written on it.

The teacher came a few minutes later. It wasn't the usual silence teacher Ms. Williams so I assumed it was a sub. I was right. "Hello everyone! I'm Mr. Smith and I'll be your sub for today since Ms. Williams is sick!", he said, awfully cheerful. He was dressed in a brown suit with stripes and his hair looked like he just woke up, but it still looked good. I wanted to ruffle it just to know how it feels.

I sat alone at lunch. A stale slice of bread was laying on my plate. I never ate anything at lunch in school because it was the easiest place to get away with not eating.

"Can I sit here?", a familiar voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked up to see the sub from before. "Y-yeah, of course", I answered quietly. The other students treated you like shit and you were known as "the fat kid". It wasn't a fun title.

"What was your name?", the teacher asked me. "Y/N", I answered, staring at my plate. "Y/N? That's a lovely name!", he smiled. I liked his smile, it was just so friendly and trusting. He took some mix of vegetables and ate it. "You shouldn't eat that", I pointed out. "Last people who ate it got sick and were home for at least two weeks", I looked at him. "People joke about it's ingredients".

He nodded and went back to eating the other things on his plate. "You're not going to eat anything?", he asked. "No", I sighed. "It doesn't taste that good", I paused. "Plus, it's stale", he looked at me. "Not gonna eat anything else?", he said, sounding a bit concerned. "It's gonna give me rabies", I said and he chuckled.

"Bye", I stood up and put my plate away. Mr. Smith walked behind me.

I had about 10 minutes until my next class started. I didn't have anywhere to be or anyone to be with so I just sat on the floor outside the classroom. Mr. Smith walked by and saw me. "Hello Y/N!", he said cheerfully. I lazily waved back. "Are you alright?", he asked. "Yeah, yeah. Why wouldn't I?", you answered. "You seemed quiet, maybe even a bit sad", he walked into the classroom beside the one I was going to be in.

"A bit early again?", said my teacher Mr. Lood. He knew full well that I didn't have any friends but he wanted me to say it. He gave up after a while and walked into the classroom. "Sadist", I muttered to myself.

-time skip-

I was laying in my bed, thinking about what happened today. Mr. Smith had been acting weird. He talked about anything except for the subject we had, which I didn't object to since I hated everything that had to do with school. I trusted him too. It was weird, he was my sub for one day. There was something about him. Something nice, something you could tru- "I SHOULD HAVE NEVER MARRIED YOU!", yelled my mom. They were fighting again.

I heard something break. They were throwing stuff too. This was really bad. I got out of my bed and jumped out of my window. I was on the second floor so it was a few meters to the ground but I didn't care. If they were throwing stuff they would 100% do something to me.

I stood up and ran. I ran as fast as I could. Away from my home, the house of nightmares. I ran on the cold streets. I felt the gravel under my bare feet but I couldn't care less about it.

I finally turned a corner and stopped running. I leaned against the cold, brick wall as I slid down onto the ground. I sat there, catching my breath and crying. I had cut that night. Regret was pouring into my brain. My right foot hurt really badly too. I must have landed weird when I jumped out of the window, it didn't help that I had run on it.