Chapter 10

Chapter 10

“Entrez,” Sonja says through the thick wooden door. I open her door and raise a questioning eyebrow at her. She’s sitting on the foot of her bed, adjusting her sneakers when she glances up and sees me. “Sorry. I thought you were Tal.”

“What does that mean anyway? Do you two have some secret language now?” I ask, standing rather awkwardly by her door. She straightens up and walks over to her mirror. She runs her hand through her hair, combing out the tangles.

“It means ‘Come in.’ And it’s no secret. Tal said his older sister had him learn it when they were younger. It’s French. Toby speaks French too. Did you know Toby’s older brother and Tal’s older sister used to date?” she says.

“Really?” She turns to look at me and nods. I know the meaning under her words though. They used to be together before they were taken by the Ixus. Tal’s older brother is probably dead and Toby’s older brother is probably dead as well. Although, I’m not quite sure. He might be just like Toby. Maybe he’s still alive.

“Isles is back,” I said, changing the subject. Sonja beams. I move aside from her door and she runs past me. I close the door behind me and see Tal coming out from his.

This is my chance to question him about what he thinks of Sonja. He nods in my direction.

“Tal, can we talk?” I ask him.

“Sure. Can we do it on the way down?” he asks. I shake my head. He stops in front of me and nods. “Okay. So what do you want to talk about?”

“It’s about Sonja.”

“What about her?”

“Are you two…”I say but trail off. If Sonja doesn’t know the answer to this. He sure as hell does. Tal’s eyebrows shoot up and he grins.

“You jealous?” he says amusingly. I scowl at him and he laughs. “I know, I know. You don’t like her but I obviously do. Does it show that much?” I nod. “She’s too naïve, huh?”

“Obviously,” I snort. Sonja the sweet, innocent and naïve Halfling.

“No we’re not anything,” he says then walks away from me. “Yet,” he calls back. I shake my head at him. He’s impossible. I’d rather have a decent conversation with Tallus rather than Tal.

I walk down the stairs and see Sonja beside Isles. She’s practically hugging him. Happiness just radiates from her. Most Ixus would probably feel uncomfortable right now but Isles just stands there beside her. Grinning down at her.

Isles still haven’t explained what he ‘feels’ for Sonja but I’m pretty sure he feels very protective of her. I know Isles trusts the people around here. He trustedRyeand me to take care of his offspring and he trusted Tallus and Tobyn to make sure we get here safely.

Isles sees me and he smiles. He’s carrying two duffel bags in one hand. Tobyn reaches for one and Tallus for the other. They both carry it upstairs to Isles’s room. Tobyn nods at me and Tal winks.

“All is well?” Isles asks me as I walk towards his direction but stop just a few feet away. I nod at him and he nods back. Talking like this sometimes makes me feel weird. Maybe because it’s not normal.

“What have you been doing while I was gone?” Isles asks Sonja. She gladly tells him that Tal has been teaching her about this and that. I zone off. Sonja belongs here. I don’t. I have no reason to stay here. I could cut to the chase quickly with Isles.

“Isles,” I say. He turns to look at me and from the look on my face; he knows I want to talk to him privately. He shrugs Sonja off and tells her to hang out with Toby and Tal while he speaks to me. Sonja happily follows.