Chapter 6 - *Flashback*

Dad was on the phone. Again. 

He was always on the phone recently. For the past two weeks, he didn't seem to have much time for me, so I had taken to eavesdropping on him. I told myself it wasn't so bad, it was technically his fault for ignoring me anyway. 

Unfortunately, most of what he was saying made little sense, due to me only being able to hear half the conversation. But as I listened in, this one sounded more interesting.

"What? How could you let that happen?" 

... 

"Yes, I know." 

... 

"Of course I bloody will!" 

... 

"And what about the data?" 

... 

"yes, yes. Whatever." 

... 

"I will do that immediately." 

... 

"I will arrange for that as soon as I can." 

... 

"Yes. Goodbye."

He hung up. Peering through the door, I could see looked angry, and a little scared. He sat down in a chair and put his head in his hands." 

"Dad?" no reply. 

"Daddy? Is everything okay?" 

"Oh! Evie darling, I didn't know you were there." he sounded strained. 

"Dad... You okay?"  

"I'm fine, I'm fine." 

"You don't look it... Dad, whatever the matter is, you know that you can tell me, right?" he turned, and smiled. 

"I know hon, and that is why I am going to ask you to do something very important for me." I didn't like the sound of it - it sounded scary. It sounded important. Not something for a child- 

My thoughts were cut of by my father continuing. 

"Honey, I'm going to give you something. Now, look at me. Yes, in the eyes." I followed his instructions as he spoke, and looked into his blue eyes, the very same ones that I had inherited. 

I didn't like what I saw. I didn't like the turmoil, the mix of emotions, that I saw in his eyes. 

He was scared, I knew that much.  

Dad was never scared. He was tough, he never showed his emotions, not even through his eyes. But he was now, and I was guessing that meant something was wrong. 

Very wrong. 

"I'm going to give you an envelope. It contains some special documents. I want you to look after it for me. Can you do that?" 

I just nodded.  

His response was to turn, and go to his desk. He unlocked a cupboard, inside of which was a draw, which he also had to unlock. Inside that drawer was a little black box with a combination on it. He turned the three dials so they read '0,0,5'. Inside that was an envelope. It was A5 sized and quite thick, rather like a school report. He turned back and handed it to me, using his hands to make me wrap my fingers around it. 

"Can you look after this for me?" 

I found my voice. "Yes. For how long?" 

"Hopefully for a long time, but honey, if anything happens... To me, or your mother, I still want you to look after it, okay?" 

I was horrified. 

"Dad... What do you mean if anything happens? Do you mean... What I think you mean?" 

He looked apologetic. "I... Yes, I do." he spoke more firmly now. "And if anything does happen, I want you to get that envelope to London." 

I was taken aback - get it to London? What was he thinking? 

"Get it to... London?" 

"Yes. And you see the address on the front? I want you to get it to that place. Yes? And can you remember 'double oh five'? Tell the person behind the desk that when you give it to them. Can you do that?" 

"Hold up, Dad. What about posting it? Or E-mailing it? And how am I supposed to get to London anyway? And what is inside the envelope that is so important?" 

"Honey, there is information in that envelope. It can't be lost, or get into the wrong hands. I won't risk post or e-mail. As for getting to London, you know enough to get there. And that reminds me: I want you to swear not to open it. You must hand it over at the desk and have no more to do with it. Swear it, Evie." 

I was confused and scared by all this. 

"But, nothing is going to happen, so I don't need to-" 

"Swear, Evie." 

"Dad!?" 

"It is a possibility. Now swear." 

"I... I... Swear, I won't open it. But, why dad?" 

"Thank you, and it is because I don't want you caught up in it all. I want you to be able to walk away. It is bad enough that I have to ask you to do this, without inflicting any more on your future." 

"Caught up in what?" 

"Nevermind. Go to bed Evie." 

"Dad! Why won't you tell me?" 

"I just answered that. Bed, now."

I was too dazed and confused about what had just happened to even argue. I tucked the envelope in my pillowcase and closed my eyes, trying to sleep.