Chapter 8: Abandoned

Alex got out of her depression and was finally coming out of her room and gorging on mountains of food to make up for three day long fasting. Not only that, she was re-breaking out of her shell and making new friends among the other children. A good story with a happy ending would probably stop right there and maybe even have Nancy adopt Alex as her child. Alas, what you are reading is a bad story with a sad ending. Terrible things happen to good people all over the world, and here is no exception. Alex was about to lose her home a second time.

Nancy was inside her office doing some paperwork when a man suddenly entered without knocking. He had neatly combed hair, square glasses, a white suit, and was holding a briefcase in one hand. "Good evening, ma'am," said the man. "I'm a lawyer representing the elites of this town. They live just a few miles away from here, in case you were wondering. I'm going to be blunt with you now. The elites have made a unanimous decision to build a mall to attract more tourists, and this building is in the way. You will have to shut this place down so it can be torn down for more room." He told her all of that with no hesitation or remorse. Nancy blinked at him in surprise, then glared at him. "Sir, I do not appreciate you barging into my office and making such terrible jokes. I'll have to ask you to leave." But the man shook his head. "This is no joke," he said, then took out a piece of paper and placed it on her desk. "This is a permit written by the town council. They have given the elites permission to construct a mall, even if it means tearing down homes and businesses." Nancy stared at the permit in horror. This can't be real, she thought frantically. It has to be a fake! But the permit turned out to be flawless. After that, Nancy practically begged for the lawyer to consider another way.

"Can't they at least build the mall someplace else?," she pleaded. The man shook his head. "My clients had already reached their decision," he explained. "You have exactly one week to shut this place down and relocate the children." Nancy shook her head in disbelief and stared down at her desk, feeling the world around her shatter. "You unimaginable monster," she whispered coldly. "Ma'am, I only represent them," the man responded. "If you want someone to blame, you can always arrange an appointment with them." "I'll be sure to do that," said Nancy, gripping her desk until her knuckles were white. Suddenly, she felt the man place his hand on her shoulder. She looked up and saw him looking down at her with a melancholy expression. "If it makes you feel any better, I derive no satisfaction from this," he said. "I really am sorry." Patting her on the shoulder for good measure, he then took his briefcase and left the room without another word, leaving behind a frightened and crying woman.

Throughout the entire week she was given, Nancy booked multiple appointments with the elites in hopes of getting them to change their minds. She didn't dare tell the children just yet. Instead, she told them that she was going to a simple business meeting and that if they needed anything, they could ask any of the employees that she recently hired to work in the orphanage. It only took her about an hour to travel all the way to the center of the town, where the elites held their meetings and such. They claimed it was so they could lend a helping hand to the "common people" who come to them for aid. Personally, Nancy thought it was just a shoddy excuse and their real reason was to flaunt their money and power.

She eventually found herself sitting before a group of old men and women sitting behind a long table. They were the elites, a privileged group that held immense power over this town, as well as the neighboring towns and villages. Rumor has it that Sebastian J. Smith, the owner of one of the most powerful redstone companies in the world, used to be a member of the elites, but left after having disagreements with the other members. Nancy honestly couldn't blame him.

No matter how much Nancy tried to persuade them not to go through with this, they refused to budge. After a while, she grew more and more livid until finally, she lost her temper. "You're sending CHILDREN back to the streets!," she yelled angrily. "How could you just ignore that?! How could you all be so selfish and cruel?!" The elites grew silent and glared at her, causing her to feel more like a child than an adult. Then, one of the members spoke. "Since you are clearly letting your emotions get the best of you, we will overlook this inappropriate behavior. I think this discussion is done. You can either leave of your own volition, or we can have someone escort you out." "Fine!," Nancy hissed, standing up so forcefully that her chair slid backwards, causing a grating noise as it rubbed against the floor. "But you haven't seen the last of me! I'll keep coming back until you listen to what I have to say!" "Oh, we're quivering in our boots," one of the old men droned. Nancy stomped out of the room, not caring how childish she was acting. It wasn't until she was outside that her brave demeanor vanished.