iv. A Chief Protects His Own

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

━━ chapter foura chief protects his own

━━ chapter four
a chief protects his own

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

     BERK was more than bright and joyful despite the storm brewing across its waters. Vikings went about their day, laughing and chatting. The forge, as always, was filled to the brim with heavy work━a line of eager customers stretched across the whole plaza, right past the steps up the slope to the Great Hall. In the air, those from the race were still milking in their experience, tormenting those on the ground who had to duck and curse after them. The Hangar was bustling with dragons and Vikings━the new and improved Dragon Sanctuary where Valkyrie's family spent most of their day, cleaning stalls, tending to sick and wounded dragons, and everything under the sun. 

     Valkyrie followed Hiccup down to the plaza. She landed amongst the cheers surrounding his arrival, slipping off her saddle to frown at Zephyr. Her husband ignored the greetings and pleasant voices of, "How's it goin', Hiccup?!" to stride right towards his father. Stepping out of the forge, Stoick the Vast was perhaps the happiest to see him of all. 

    With a proud beam through his greying hair, the chief bellowed out a, "Ahah! There he is! The pride of Berk!"

     "You okay, boy?" Valkyrie meanwhile murmured to her dragon, running her hand down his snout. He nuzzled against it to reassure her and she hugged him, just relieved he was okay out of all of this. She would worry about a Dragon Army and Eret son of Eret's words later (and this strange Drago Bludvist). Right now, Val was happy her dearest friend was okay. 

     In seeing them arrive, Hott and Asrifth made their way over. Both boys were holding barrels of fish to take down to the Hangar. Valkyrie arched a brow at the sheer amount in Hott's. He was straining under the weight as he made his way over, but as Astrid looked over and gasped in seeing Valkyrie back, he quickly fixed his stance and held it up better, face red with determination.

     Asrifth shook his head, annoyed at his younger brother.

     Valkyrie sighed, "Hott," she stressed, placing a hand on his shoulder before Astrid got here. "You're not going to get anywhere if you don't be yourself."

     He stared at her as if she had just committed blasphemy. With a hoarse voice in his strain, he grunted, "Easy for you to say. The love of your life liked you beforehand. Astrid doesn't see me as anything but your idiot younger brother."

     Asrifth thought about this, "Well," he said as she arrived, "you are an idiot."

     Hott shot Asrifth a sharp glare. 

     Astrid frowned at the brothers, and Hott put on his best smile. She scoffed, shaking her head and tugged Valkyrie away from them. As soon as she couldn't see, Hott dropped the barrel of fish at Spikemoth's feet with a relieved sigh. His dragon and Asrifth both laughed at him.