Masochist

She fluttered her eyes open, revealing her dark apartment. And she immediately regretted doing so.

 She was sweating, her body hurts plus her head is throbbing, as if it was being hammered also, she was breathing heavily. Everything hurts. She couldn't move an inch since it felt like she's under some kind of wrath, an unbearably painful wrath. Moving to her side felt like hell, so she decided to stay as is. In conclusion, she was sick. Just like a normal person, she has a fever.

 However, she couldn't ignore the fact that this couldn't get worse. She needs to get better and get back right on her tracks as she knew how important her existence for was.

 She reached for her phone on the coffee table across the couch, bearing the pain of moving. She clicked the middle button which allowed her to see the date and time.

'08:49 December 31' it said.

 It was New Year's Eve and she was bed-ridden. She doesn't need to be attended just to get better.

Or at least she thought so.

 It has been 2 hours since she arrived at the apartment and started dozing off, without even bothering about changing her clothes. Sleep was good. She forgot about everything in a while. She didn't know that she was paining on the outside at all. It was as if there was this rather safe and warm embrace that made her feel utterly comfortable.

 But here she was an incompetent loser who has no one in life, no one to make her feel that way.

 Rather than worsening her remorse of how awful her life has been, she had to take care of herself. If she wouldn't care, then who else will? She can't let herself rot alone in an empty, lonely and dark space just because she was emotionally inefficient or something near that.

 She could still feel her slightly burnt tongue from this morning. She remembered that she only had that medium cup of cappuccino from Seattle's best coffee to keep her from starving. She completely skipped meals that day, leaving her sick afterwards.

 Since nothing else was to be done on an food deprived apartment, she decided to phone for a proper meal. At least, it was a little reward for her since there's this New Year's Eve occasion. Plus she's sick, a little too much if you must say.

--

 'Mom, I can't go home tonight. The company's year-end party took longer than usual. Enjoy yourself!' I lied.

 Besides with the fact that I could barely move an inch, I actually felt sick coming to this kind of get-togethers. Sure enough, spending time with your family is great but my extensive family members were sort of annoying in quite honesty. First, they would bug me for not having a boyfriend, saying my beauty and skills are a waste and I don't really agree into that. For ones' love status to change, you don't need to have an impressive background. I absolutely lack manners, I'm aware of that. And also, discreet demeanor? Check. Second, they would seek my help just so that I'll be able to help them get into the company. Yes, the company is big. But that doesn't mean we have to hire every single time. And besides, if I would explain as of how I got to where I am now, it's basically because I worked hard for it.

 Hypocrites, bunch of hypocrites.

 But mom would always say that I should help them since I am the one who's in advantage.

 Just because they weren't good enough, does that mean I bullied them? Just because they fell down, do I need to help them? No one helped me when I was in need. Everything that I possess, everything that I know, I got them with my own skill; without anyone with me.

 My train of thoughts was interrupted when someone pressed the doorbell.

 Tired enough to check who it was, I wobbly walked towards the door and hoped it was the delivery guy.