Chapter 03: Singled Out

Sunday Mass came in a flash. It had been over a week since her first encounter with Allen. Mary hadn't talked to him since but had seen the boy hanging out with some of the other children. She'd seen him laughing and joking with them.

'Good for him.' Mary thought.

She was glad he had made friends. She was glad he hadn't ended up like her. Gloomy and lonely. That was how it was for her after the incident until now.

Mary blocked out her sad thoughts and put all her attention and focus on playing the big church organ. Today, she was playing Salve Regina. One of her favorite pieces, as it was one of the last Theresa had taught her.

Mass went smoothly and soon ended. The parishioners left the church and everyone else went to do their own thing. The church, which was once filled with people, became relatively quiet once more.

The young girl had some free time, so she went outside and sat under the shade of one of the garden's trees. It was her favorite place to sit, as there was nothing and no one who bothered her. The blue-haired girl looked over the distance. She could see the other children playing together. There was a time when she played with them, but not anymore. Not after the incident.

Mary closed her eyes, hoping to get some rest. She wasn't able to get much shut-eye, however, as the sound of footsteps walking across the grassy field moved closer and closer to her.

Mary heard the voice of a boy she hadn't seen in a while.

"You mind if I sit here and read?" Allen inquired, looking down at the sitting girl.

"Do whatever you want." The girl said without opening her eyes.

For a while, all Mary could hear was the whispering wind, the sound of Allen turning pages, and the distant laughter of children. Then the boy spoke up.

"I've been wondering, but why are you always dressed from head to toe?" Allen asked, leaning towards Mary, and looking at her, specifically at her long gloves.

"Aren't you hot?"

Mary narrowed her eyes at him. "That's none of your business." she retorted. "Besides, my clothing is made to be thin, so I'm not hot."

"Um, ok... sorry for asking." He leaned back to his spot underneath the tree.

Mary, no longer in the mood to rest, asked Allen her own question.

"Why aren't you playing with any of the other kids?" She asked. "I've seen you hanging out with them."

"Oh, so you've been staring at me?" He joked.

Mary huffed. "Hmph, of course not! I just happened to notice."

Allen snorted. "If you say so."

The silver-eyed boy put down the book he was reading and toyed with the blades of grass.

"I just wanted some quiet time to myself." He answered. Allen looked at Mary.

"Should I assume you're alone because of what you told me the last time we met?" Allen asked.

Mary looked into his eyes, but couldn't find any sign of malice, so she said: "You're awfully perceptive for a little kid."

Allen grinned. "It's a gift." He continued, "Besides, we don't look very far in age; how old are you?"

"Twelve." The girl replied.

"I'm eleven!" Allen said, gleefully. "When's your birthday?"

Mary snorted. "What is this? An interrogation?"

The auburn-haired boy pouted. "I'm just curious."

Mary smiled. "I know, I know. I was just joking."

Allen faked a shocked look. "Who could've known you could actually make a joke!" He continued, "you were unfriendly when we first started this conversation."

"That's hilarious coming from the boy who, when he first came here, was screaming!" Mary looked at him, amused.

Allen rolled his eyes. "Can you really blame me? That old geezer snatched me up as if I were a street rat!"

"That's what you get for trying to pickpocket his wife!" She laughed.

They filled the next hour and a half with laughter and merriment.