Chapter 23: Morning

A soft wind caressed Mary's face. Slowly, she opened her eyes. The young girl was lying in a path of flowers. Flowers that haunted her dreams. Flowers, though so beautiful, she dreaded seeing. Blue forget-me-nots.

She knew exactly where she was.

Mary stood up and searched for the familiar figures she had been so accustomed to seeing every time she was there.

"It's been a while since we've met face to face, child," Therion said.

The Innocence was right. Several years had passed since the last time she saw Therion. Although Mary hadn't seen the Innocence since her time in the hospital, it constantly reminded her of its existence, as Therion would speak to her almost every time it was activated.

Mary looked down at Therion's arm. The chains linking the Innocence and the phantom black beast were still there. However, the chains had the faintest of cracks in them. Cracks that wouldn't be noticeable if Mary wasn't so perceptive.

She gulped. Remembering Therion's past words, she couldn't help but feel a shiver go down her spine.

Seeing the girl's reaction, Therion laughed.

"You really are in God's favor. Had your master come any later, you would've become a Fallen One."

"Fallen... One?" She furrowed her eyebrows.

"My power would've overwhelmed you even more than it did." Therion exclaimed, walking towards Mary. "As I said before, I would've consumed you, and you would've died."

Therion stopped right in front of Mary. With its golden eyes, it looked up at Mary's rhodonite-colored eyes. It still felt surreal to the young girl to look at Therion. To look at a version of her younger self. When she first met the Innocence, Mary wasn't too much taller than Therion, but now, she towered over it.

"Will... will I become a Fallen One after those chains break then?" Mary asked, her voice a whisper.

Therion gave her a mysterious smile. "Perhaps, or perhaps not. By then, you might be strong enough to use all of my power."

Mary stared at Therion. Truthfully, she did not know whether Therion was lying. However, Mary didn't have any reason not to believe the Innocence's words either. If strength is what would save her, then she would strive for it. The young girl took a breath.

"Then I'll continue to train!" she exclaimed. "Until that day comes, I'll continue to get stronger!"

The Innocence's smile became wider.

"Good," it said. "That's good."

Suddenly, the ground shook. The young girl's eyes widened. She looked around.

"It seems like our time has come to an end," Therion said.

"I'm waking up already?" Mary questioned. The ground below her began to open. "But I still have things to ask you!"

"Another time, young exorcist! Another time!" Therion yelled out.

Losing her balance, Mary tripped. Falling into the gaping abyss. Therion, along with the phantom black beast, looked down at the abyss. It narrowed its eyes.

"Don't betray me, child. Or else..."

-

Mary shot up from her bed, gasping. There was still so much she wanted to ask, and yet...

Before she could sulk, the sound of a hammer caught her attention. Looking at the desk, she saw a familiar redhead holding a hammer in one hand and Ur-Canpy in the other. Her eyes almost popped out of their sockets.