Chapter 07: Visitor

If Mary had to describe her day, it would be absolutely, boringly, mundane. It was a striking contrast to the excitement of the circus a few days ago.

She groaned. Unlike the other children, Mary was sweeping the church floors. The children were outside, playing. Some kids, including Kate, had made fun of her teeth. They had called Mary a dog. In retaliation, she had lashed out at them, leaving her with a scolding from the nuns. As punishment, they made her sweep the floors during her free time.

"How is this fair? I was just defending myself." Mary muttered.

'I wish I could hang out with Allen, but if the nuns caught me outside....'

Mary sighed loudly.

This sucks.

Suddenly, the main door of the church opened. A very tall woman walked in. She was the tallest person Mary had even seen—even taller than the tallest man she knew.

'She has to be over 6 feet tall!' Mary thought. The young girl stared at the woman.

"This is quite the lovely church here." The lady's voice snapped Mary out of her thoughts.

"Y-you think so?" Mary stumbled with her woods, too enamored by the woman's appearance.

Not only was the mysterious lady tall, but she was also gorgeous. She was wearing a white blouse with a long black skirt. In her hand was a big brown suitcase. As the sunlight hit the woman, the metal frame of her glasses shone brightly.

"Yes, indeed." The woman looked around.

"Although, I must inquire why the only people in here and you and me." The woman turned to Mary.

"Well, few parishioners visit since most of them are having or preparing lunch." She continued, "For us kids that live here, right now is free time, so we go outside and play. The nuns are outside or in the kitchen."

"I see. But, that doesn't explain why you're in here, my child." The lady raised her left eyebrow.

Mary stood there awkwardly, hesitant about telling the platinum-haired woman. In the end, she made up her mind and spoke up.

'After all, it isn't like I'm going to see her again, right? This lady is clearly not from here. She's probably just passing the area.'

"I got in trouble for defending myself from some stupid kids." Mary looked down at the broom she was holding. "Now I have to sweep the stupid floor."
The woman chuckled.

"Getting punished for defending yourself? I can understand that predicament very well my dear."
"Really?" Mary questioned.

"Yes, indeed." The woman nodded. "Do all the children disserve you?"

For some odd reason, Mary felt compelled to keep talking.

"Well.... there's this boy who treats me differently." Mary looked out the window. She could see the boy in question napping next to a tree.

"He acts as if he doesn't know what the others say about me, but—"

"But what?"

Mary hesitated. She looked down at her hands.

"I'm... I'm just worried he'll treat me differently once he sees what's under.... under these gloves."

The memories of that fateful day came rushing back to the young girl. Memories of pain and the confusion she felt from seeing everyone's fearful eyes. Even Theresa had looked afraid.

The woman bent down to the gloomy girl's height and put a hand on her shoulder.

"Do you consider this boy your friend?" She asked.

"Yeah..."

"Do you believe he considers you a friend?"

Mary thought back to Allen's words while they were at the circus.

"Yes.." She nodded.

"Then, I'm sure he'll accept you."

"You think so?" Mary frowned, her mind full of 'what if' questions

"With all the information you've given me, yes I do."

"I guess... I guess I'll try." Mary's grip on the broom tightened. She would try and pray that the woman would be right.

The lady smiled.

"Good!"

Suddenly, the church bell rang.

"Oh! It's time for lunch!" Mary looked through the window and could see children running towards the stone building.

"That's my cue to leave then." The woman stood up. "Georges will be on my case if I don't." She mumbled.

As the woman walked towards the front door, she waved.

"Goodbye and good luck!"

"G-goodbye!" Mary waved back shyly.

What accompanied the sound of the wood door closing was the sound of children's chatter.