Chapter 10: Fortuna Blesses No One

It was Christmas, more especially, a white Christmas. Practically every townsperson was gathered in the small church. December 25th was a big day, after all. No one would dare miss it.

Mary happily played the organ. The service would soon be over and, for once, Mary was a little sad about it. She didn't remember the last time she felt this happy on a Christmas day. It was all because of one person. One boy. A boy who had befriended her and accept her.

O great mystery,
and wonderful sacrament,
that animals should see the newborn Lord,
lying in a manger!

The young, wavy-haired girl was playing O Magnum Mysterium with the children, singing along. It had taken her a while to learn it (more than usual), but now she could finally play it with the emotion the piece needed. She thought back to the day Sister Theresa had first taught her how to play the organ and smiled.

Blessed is the Virgin whose womb
was worthy to bear
the Lord, Jesus Christ.
Alleluia!

Mary slowly hit the last note as the parishioners stood up and left the church. The service was over. She sat on the bench, deep in thought. This was far from the first Christmas she had been part of, but the young girl still didn't know what it meant to her. Sister Theresa had always called Christmas a joyous day, and Mary could understand that statement a little better now. Now that she had a friend. But deciding she didn't want to think any more of it, she got up from the seat.

-

"Gah!!?"

"Happy birthday!"

Allen, who had just been tackled by Mary, yelped in surprise. The two children fell into the soft blanket of snow. Unable to hold in her laughter, Mary giggled.

"The look on your face is priceless!" She grinned.

"That's cause you scared me!" He pouted. Mary put her forehead to Allen's.

"Woah...you're so warm!" The young girl's eyes widened.

"And you're freezing!" He flinched at the contact.
Mary yawned, hugging the boy underneath her.
"I don't know how or why you're so warm, but it's making me sleepy...." She closed her eyes.

"Hey! If you're going to sleep, don't sleep on me!" Allen attempted to push her off, but the girl wouldn't budge. Soon he gave up, simply laying back down and looking at the cloudy morning sky.

Mary could hear the other children in the distance. They were busy playing in the snow, making snowmen, and having snowball fights. After all, it was rare for them to even get snow, even in the winter. Yet, it seemed this Christmas was going to be a white one.

"Say," Mary spoke, her voice muffled by Allen's winter coat. "Why did you keep hanging out with me? I know you talked to the other kids after we first met. They must've told you about me." She fiddled with the coat buttons.

"Honestly," the auburn-haired boy looked into the distance. "I'm not sure. I guess something just made me want to talk to you, but I don't regret it."

"Good." Mary nodded.

Suddenly, she heard a voice calling out to her. It was Mother Jeanne.

"Mary! It's time to go!" she said.

Mary sat up, gasping.

"Oh, I forgot! I have grocery duty today. I can't believe I didn't remember." The girl frowned, looking at Allen apologetically.

"It's alright. We can celebrate my birthday once you get back." He smiled. Mary couldn't help but smile back.

She quickly rushed toward the door of the church.