The Crimson Claymore: Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Andron stood with his arms crossed half a dozen paces away from the smokeless green campfire. Starlyn sat on a log next to the strange man a safe distance away from him as she stared in disbelief. Andron's eyes were wide as they looked from Starlyn to the man in green robes.

"You two know each other?" Andron asked.

The man nodded his head toward Andron. Andron flinched and took a step back, unsure about the man before him. He seemed as if he wasn't human, and that scared Andron. Only weeks ago, the only creature besides humans that Andron was aware of were the draeyks that attacked his village. Then he met kheshlars and a wizard, and his entire world turned upside down. This man sitting in front of them appeared to be neither. His ears weren't rounded like a human's but seemed to have a slight point on the top similar to some kheshlars. He didn't appear to have a staff, or zylek, as the wizard had called it, so he couldn't be a wizard. Yet it was magic that Andron felt in the air surrounding him as he was tossed to the ground. He shivered as he took a step closer.

"He helped me in the war the kheshlars had against the draeyks years ago," Starlyn whispered.

Andron nodded slowly and turned to her. "What is he?"

The man stood, brushing his long straight blond hair from his eyes, and bowed before Andron, "My name is Shronan Onderon, but you may simply call me Sh'on. I am a mage."

"A mage?" Andron's forehead wrinkled in thought.

"Yes, a mage."

"How many different types of magic users are there?"

"Well...there are wizards, mages, witches, sorceresses, and warlocks. Those are the five stronger fields of magic—while there still are some who have trained themselves and only know small spells. Those are simply called magic users."

Andron's eyebrows rose as he sat down on a stone by the fire across from Sh'on. His concentration was fierce, and he intended to find out as much as he could.

"What is the difference between a mage and a wizard?"

"A wizard has more power because they are born with it. Often, they are not aware of it until they reach the age of maturity, but then they find they can conjure spells and feel a remarkable power within them. The power is so strong that if they do not harness it and learn to control it, it can destroy them...and everyone surrounding them. This is why they carry something to control their power, a way to channel it in a controlled manner."

"A zylek," Andron whispered.

"Yes...many use a zylek, or a scepter of some sort. Each one is created to the type of magic that they hold so it is best used for them."

"And a mage?"

"Mages are not born with magic; it is something that needs to be unlocked within them, or through other means. Some study for years in an attempt to gain control of the power. For some, there is a flicker inside of them that if they find they can harness and control. Mages are not as powerful because a hidden force of magic within us doesn't tear through our defenses when we reach maturity. Instead, we have to seek for it and grasp it with all of our might. Therefore, once we claw at it and grasp it, we are already in control. Think of it like this: Wizards struggle to keep their power inside of themselves. That's why they have zyleks, to release the magic that desperately wishes to escape when they are in need. With mages, we have to search for it and grab it before we can release it. This makes what we do not nearly as powerful as a wizard, but sometimes it does make it more controlled."

"I see," Andron muttered, glancing away from the mage.

"Met a wizard, have you? Would it by chance be Karceoles?"