12. A New Bond

The setting sun hid behind clouds as they finished the evening meal in the grand dining room. Their sea voyage neared its end. Prince Theodore pointed out the boundary markers that indicated they were entering Kingdom waters earlier that day. They still had more than a day of sailing, but soon, the next part of their journey would begin.

Raja grew restless to continue but was also glad for the many distractions around him. They would not have these as they traveled by land together. He was growing uncomfortable with the feelings Natalia provoked in him. A protective urge that Raja could not identify or explain surged whenever she was around. Perhaps the compulsion was just because of how vital Natalia was to Lukas, or it was his guilt for his role in her misery. This woman was not the robust and willful wife of Lukas' memory; she was a brittle shell of what she once had been, and he was partially to blame for this. But whatever it was, it was unnerving, and Raja did not like being off balance.

Because of his discomfort, he worked hard to spend most of the day apart from her. Still, they always ate their meals together with the Prince and Paulo. Even during these meals, Raja often caught himself watching her and feeling an odd foreign yearning in the back of his mind.

At this dinner, the sensation overcame him as she laughed at what Paulo had said. Her laugh was rare and raspy. And though the veil covered her face, her eyes glowed. These glimpses of the carefree woman she had been once occurred more often as time passed. The more they appeared, the more he craved them. Later, when he reflected on his reactions, he could not be sure why she had affected him this way.

The room had nearly emptied of diners. As usual, the four of them remained, prolonging the time before Raja would have to be alone with Natalia. Tonight, when the Prince looked at Raja, he sensed in Theodore's tension that something had changed.

"How does your father fare?" The Prince asked Raja with a light curious tone. "We have not had word from the Grasslands in many months."

"It may have been even longer since I was last home," Raja answered honestly. "However, the Chief fared well the last time we spoke."

Over the past year, Lukas helped him communicate with his father, but Raja had yet to make the journey home. He had sent a message informing his Father of Lukas' capture. But waiting for a reply had been impossible. He hoped Rosemund would give a reasonable explanation for his horse's return.

"Ah, yes, you lived with the People and their leader . . ." Theodore paused and turned to Paulo in askance. "What was his name again?"

Paulo put a restraining hand on Theodore's arm, and Raja realized he was gripping the table. Natalia's breathing had stopped for a moment. The tension at the table had risen with only the thought of Lukas.

"What?" Theodore sounded confused and batted Paulo's hand from his arm. "It's not a secret."

"No, it is not," Paulo answered. "But we do not travel as agents of The People and would not want it to seem so."

"Ah, but you are using your real name." He accused Raja.

"Yes. Raja is a common name among our people, and it raises more suspicion to those who know me if I use a false name." Raja smiled at the Prince, wondering where this conversation was leading. "I am not as good at disguise as the Master."

"No one is," Theodore agreed and remained quiet enough for Raja to relax again.

"Our fathers," the Prince began to speak again, too casually. "I believe, in as much as is possible for rulers of separate lands to be, are friends."

"Yes, you are correct. My father thinks well of the King. And the Tribe maintains close ties with the Kingdom," Raja answered, curious where Theodore was leading the conversation.