15. Transitions

For some time, they sat in silence in the blank space. Natalia's accusation had hit its mark. Raja also worried about what Lukas would think or do when they reunited, so he carefully considered his response to his new bondmate.

"Neither of us understands this," he replied. "I can only hope Lukas's words were true; he knows my heart and will not judge me. He knows your heart too. But nothing is certain until we speak with him again."

In the physical space, he shifted his body to bring her closer to him. The bond had allowed more easy communication, but touch improved it. As they touched, he felt unwelcome arousal and ignored it. He did not understand his body's response to her. It comforted him some when he sensed her desire spike and felt her stifle it just as aggressively. What a pair they were.

"Perhaps, I should tell you more about me since we know so little about each other." A rich grassland appeared around them.

"My father was not yet Chief of the Inyoni when I was born. My mother held the title." he paused, choosing his words. He didn't discuss his mother often. "My birth did not go well. I do not know the circumstances or why the Water Master could not save her. But my father said that they had done everything."

No scenes accompanied the stories; this was something he lived but did not remember. He could not say what his mother looked like. He felt Natalia's hand grasp his and found it reassuring.

"Despite his protests, the Tribal Elders elected my father Chief at the next Council meeting instead of her brother, the designated heir. And later, the Council of chiefs made him the Chief of chiefs," Raja recounted. He paused to assure Natalia understood the significance of the title. She nodded, and he continued with his story.

"My mother's sister took charge of me and raised me with my cousins as if we were siblings. She was my mother, and they were my brothers and sisters, but my uncle kept his distance. I already had a father."

Images of a happy childhood appeared—Raja's subconscious choosing moments important or formative in his young life. Raja remembered building a solid friendship with his cousins and a close relationship with his aunt. It surprised him how few there were of his uncle or father.

The images sped into a dark space with only his father, the Chief, and the boy he had once been. Raja remembered this moment and the betrayal he had felt.

The younger Raja stood silent.

"I have chosen another as my Heir," the Chief announced. While his father spoke, a look of sadness crossed the older man's face. Raja didn't register that sadness at the moment, but his memories stored it, and the older man who watched them inferred his father's painful choice.

"I don't understand," Raja responded angrily.

"Son, I have other plans for you. I cannot tell you more, but you will continue to train as a warrior for now." The Chief crossed over to his son and grasped his arms. The younger Raja didn't speak. The anger pushed his brow towards his nose and reddened his cheeks; Raja still held this anger in his heart, if somewhat more muted now. Why hadn't his father trusted him with the truth?

They were outside again. His father was speaking to an older Raja. "You will meet with an Elemental Master today, do not be afraid. The Council sent him to check on something. He will not harm you." He had forgotten this moment, but it seemed important as he watched it.

A bright man in brighter robes stepped out of a dull carriage. He was short and plump with wild gray hair.

"Ah, the boy has grown so tall!" The man put his hands on Raja's shoulders and gripped them kindly. "But he needs more meat on these bones." The Elemental Master patted his ample belly and laid his arm around the Chief's neck. "He is fine. I am not needed yet." He spoke almost too quietly to hear, then turned back towards his carriage.