061

[ article ]

Prestige Bulletin

Vika Vasylchenko, lilipad na patungong Puerto Rico para sa Miss Universe 2022 na gaganapin sa buwan ng Setyembre.
by Janice Lee

Sa pagtatapos ng buwan ng Agosto, lumipad na patungong Puerto Rico ang dating Miss Universe Philippines 2014 titleholder na si Vika Vasylchenko. Siya ay naimbitahan ng organisasyon na maging isa sa mga presenter o host ng nasabing beauty pageant.

Sa aming panayam, may mensahe ang beauty queen sa mga kandidatong inaasam na maging susunod na Miss Universe titleholder.

"My mother was a beauty queen in her younger years. And growing up, I always asked her what qualities should I have to be a beauty queen. Looking back, I now realize how wrong it was that I asked her of the beauty standards or requirements of beauty pageants. Lagi kong tinatanong sa kanya kung kailangan bang maging matangkad bago maging beauty queen? Kailangan ba makinis ang balat at mukha? Maputla ang kutis? Am I not qualified if I'm too skinny or too fat?

I was a curious kid. I was curious of my mother's world. Pero habang lumalaki ako, narealize ko na hindi dapat ganoon. Wala dapat requirements ang pagiging isang beauty queen. Can't a woman do her duties and responsibilities as a beauty queen if she's fat? She's black? Will her duties be affected if she's too skinny? If she's too short? If her physical appearance is not flawless? If she has scars on her body? I don't think so.

I always believed that our flaws do not define us as a woman—as a person, even. Beauty pageants should empower women to become the better version of themselves. I believe that beauty pageants shouldn't focus on the outside beauty of the girls, but should focus more on the inside. We should focus on the beauty within their souls—the goodness and the will they have to be capable of doing their responsibilities during their reign.

Although I had my own share of insecurities when I joined the pageant years ago, I am an advocate of women empowerment. So to all the girls who's aiming for the crown, not just the candidates but also to all the other girls out there, embrace your features. You are not embracing flaws. You are embracing you and the assets that are natural to you. Don't be discouraged if you feel like you aren't qualified to become a beauty queen. Because one day, the goodness in your heart and your will to stand by your advocacy and use your voice for the people who couldn't be heard will soon change the world—or the universe."

Javianne Priyanka Vasylchenko is indeed a queen. She may have not been able to conquer the universe, but she definitely conquered our hearts. We are more than proud of what you've become, Queen Vika.