Chapter 1

Nini pov:

After a little walk to the portal, I took a deep breath and just walked through it. This weird feeling overcame me. It is hard to describe, but if I had to, I would say it felt like you were standing outside while it was pouring rain.

We came out of  a freaking wall in the human world. "Remember act natural and no using magic" Momma C said as soon as she walked out of the portal. I nodded my head as a sign that I understood. "Good, now let's go find your soulmate" Momma C said. Purposefully leaving out the word mate and replacing it with soulmate since humans were walking past us.

"Were should we go Momma C?" I questioned her. "How about the mall? Many kids your age will be there since it's summer." I raised my eyebrows in confusion at her words. "A mall is a place with lots of stores under one roof. It's common in the human word" she clarified as soon as she noticed my confusion.

I agreed to go there, so we did just that. Walking through the huge building my eyes were so focused on taking everything in that I did not even notice that I ran into someone. "Omg I'm so so sorry" she said as soon as I did notice. The girl had dark curly hair and she looked scared of my reaction.

I hated that I had to do this. "Oh, Be more careful next time." I swear I heard her adding "I'm used to it." The whole time we were walking around I could not get that girl out of my head.

Was she, my mate? No, I am not into girls or am i?

"Mom?" I all of the sudden decided that my mom would know. "Yes Nini?" "How did you know that you like girls and that Momma D was the one for you?" I could not say mate for obvious reasons. "You feel the sparks and for the first questions, I had no idea until I met your mother."

I nodded my head at her words. So, that girl was not my mate. I did not feel the sparks.

A few more minutes passed before my mother decided we should eat something, so we went to a place called McDonald's. They had burgers, I thought excitedly when I saw the menu. My own and only friend Andrew, the son of a guard, said burgers taste amazing. We ate and let me tell you he was right. These burgers do taste amazing. I now understood why everyone was so excited to visit the human world, even though everyone was also happy to return home.

We threw away our trash before getting back to work. We had to find him, we had to or I might not have enough time to find him. All of the sudden I felt this warmth fill my body. It must be him, it had to be my mate.

Just as I was about to look for him, I saw the girl I had bumped into earlier being bullied by a group of boys. I quickly ran over to them and went between the girl and the boys without hesitation. Not thinking of the consequences I said "Leave her alone. She doesn't deserve to be treated like this." 

One of the boys was looking at me with a look I could not identify, while the other four were just standing in front of me. "You have nothing to say little girl. Now move before I hurt you" the tallest of the five guys commanded. I blandly refused though causing the guys to look at each other before nodding their heads at each other. "We'll let you go this time, but your little friend here can't save you next time." With that they walked away, and the girl pulled me into a hug. "Thank you, so so much you saved me from them."

Then something hit me, the curse. Shit, I looked around to see my mother looking at me with fear in her eyes. Then a unbearable amount of pain appeared in my chest. I fell to the floor clutching my chest.

Not more than 10 seconds passed before I felt two arms lifting me up. I was sure it was my mother until warmth spread through my body and the pain started to go away. That moment I knew it was my mate. When I realized that his touch started to make sparks appear. I opened my eyes to see that the guy, who was holding me in his arms was the same guy that had just watched his friends try to beat up the girl.

I was not sure what to think. How could someone like this be my mate? "Hey, are you ok?" he asked me after he had carried me towards a little sitting area and had placed me, so I was laying on my back. "Yeah" is all I managed to get out.

There was a moment of silence until he, I do not even know his name, decided to start a conversation. "I'm sorry for causing this. I don't know what happened there, but my friend and I must have caused it." He was right on that, but not in the way he thought. "It's fine, but why are they even your friends?" I decided to ask him while carefully sitting up. He placed his hand on my back to steady me.

"Because I have no one else" he quietly said. "What?" I asked confused. "But what about your parents?" The way his eyes started watering meant I had hit a sore spot. "I'm sorry I shouldn't have asked." He nodded gratefully at the fact that I noticed his discomfort. I placed a hand on his back and rubbed it up and down to comfort him. He might not know but your mates touch calms you down and makes you feel better. "Thanks" he mumbled.

"My name is Nina by the way, but everyone just calls me Nini." "I like your name, but Neens is better." I giggled at his new nickname for me.

"That's fine with me. What's your name?" I questioned him. "Ricky" he said. "Ricky" I liked the sound of that. "I like your name too. It fits you very well."

After that we fell into a comfortable silence while just smiling at each other.

———
I know the story is really fast right now and it will be like that for a few more chapters until I introduced everything important