Chapter 9 - Disappointment

Wednesday arrived and it was a pretty boring and uneventful day. Work ran as smoothly as it could have done, there were a lot of visitors to the office today, so taking care of them took up most of my time. I made sure to actually make use of my lunch break, beginning to search on my phone for somewhere to take Frank for his birthday as I ate my cheese and tomato sandwich. Ransom interrupted my life yet again, with a couple of missed calls over the course of the work day, which I chose to ignore of course. After work, a trip into the town saw the purchase of a bottle of whiskey and a book titled 'Steps to building a successful business' which were both wrapped as soon as I got home, ready for Frank's birthday. I spent a few hours on the phone to Frank that evening. The conversations we shared seemed so easy and relaxed, especially recently.

On Thursday, I had an incredibly busy day and a list of jobs longer than my arm. The firm was due to throw a book launch party the following week and it was my job to email out to a list of clients that we wanted to invite, along with emailing a huge list of other people to confirm arrangements and bookings etc. Dad must have anticipated the busy day, as sure enough a food carton arrived on my desk at lunch, hand delivered with a cheesy Dad grin. After work Dad and I got to spend some time together. Fran had made us a dinner of steak pie, mashed potatoes and gravy and so we sat in the dining room going over plans for the party as we ate.

"So what are your plans tomorrow?" Dad asked as he we wrapped up the party planning and we continued tucking in to our dinner.

"Ermm, I think I'm going to take Frank to a theme park." I responded with a bob of my head as I forked through the remainder of my pie, trying to find leftover meat pieces.

"Oh yeah. Sounds like fun princess." He spoke, dropping his gaze slightly, before taking a deep breath.

"Are you okay?" He exhaled slowly, lifting his face to find mine once more, looking completely overwhelmed with worry. One of my eyebrows involuntarily sprung up, as the question came out of no where, taking me a little by surprise. I had just assumed he thought everything was okay, he hadn't mentioned it at all in the last few days. I felt a sudden pang of guilt that he'd been harbouring it this whole time.

"Dad, please stop worrying about me. I'm honestly fine. Everything is fine. I promise." I reeled off sincerely, trying to stop my eyes from clouding over as I felt a rush of emotion. Dad's expression creased, the air between us thick as I tried to work out if he had bought it or not. After what felt like forever, a smile finally crept onto his face.

"Good." He said matter of factly. I simply smiled back at him in response, glad that he seemed more at ease.

"I really like Frank." He said with a smirk, before rolling his eyes playfully, resting his chin on his hand, "And he's so handsome, those eyes, oh my gosh they make me wanna...."

"Oh my god Nigel, Shut up!" I interrupted quickly, glaring at him sarcastically as a small smirk crept onto my lips. He clutched his belly as the laughs roared out of him. I tried to maintain my grumpy demeanour, to continue the joke, but seeing him laughing again, tipped me over the edge alongside him. I was happy that things seemed to be returning to normal. After dinner had finished, the final preparations were made for the following day, tickets were purchased online, clothes were selected and an excited and tired me curled up safely underneath my snug duvet.

On Friday morning, I jumped out of bed bright and early and began getting ready for the day as Frank was expecting me at around 9am. I started by throwing the clothes on that I had selected the night before. My outfit consisted of a pair of black skinny jeans, a loose purple, satin camisole top and finished off with a long black cardigan and my white trainers. My hair was thrown into a messy bun, eyes dusted with purple eye shadow, followed by a coating of mascara and after checking myself out quickly in the mirror, I was ready. It was 8.15am when I made my way downstairs and joined Dad in the kitchen, perching on one of the empty bar stools.