Time

The years passed by slowly. Four years after having told Rapunzel about her past, Velma found her daughter becoming more and more, well, teenager-like. She wanted to become independent and because of that, she acted more rebellious towards her mother.
It would be subtle rebellion, but rebellion nonetheless. First it was something like refusing to eat all of her food or cleaning when she was asked. Then it turned into wanting to go to the castle- something that no matter what Velma couldn't fulfill for her.
But at the same time, Velma didn't scold her for being rebellious. She knew it was a hard life they lived. She appeased most of Rapunzel's wishes on the material side. After all, being a local healer paid well, but not all the money in the world could pay for the things that mattered in Rapunzel's mind.
🏰🏰🏰🏰🏰
On the magical perspective, Rapunzel was doing quite well. She was very good at working with plants.
Whenever Velma came home from any trip and needed to get up into the tower, she'd call out: "Oh Rapunzel, let down your hair!" And Rapunzel would grow the rampion plant on the sill so her mother could get on up. It was kind of an inside joke between them because Rapunzel had her hair in a layered bob down to her ear lobes.