Chapter 3 - A Dark Truth

Only several days had passed when Melinda and Wendy got to see each other once more. This time, it was Melinda who announced her presence by knocking on the door. Just as she had expected, Wendy formed a toothy smile that would have seemed irremovable out of context, but once she had told her what she came there for, the smile faded away in an instant.

"Dearest Melinda, why will you never let go of that story? I told you the bloodstains on my coat were nothing to worry about!" she moaned.

"Don't call me dearest. I'm not in the mood to be fooling around," Melinda hissed. "Listen, Wendy, even though we are such close friends and I am willing to overlook almost anything, I know you're not a fighter. Your life is always so private and peaceful... Unless Amanda did something again."

Wendy looked at the floor as she answered. "She was a participant in the deed, but I beg of you, do not blame her. It was my idea."

The darkness in Melinda's eyes as she glared at the wall opposite to her made Wendy shiver. She was there when her friend claimed to have forgiven Amanda and that she had welcomed her into her castle, her new home, and now she seemed to be imagining Amanda stand there so she could have the satisfaction of burning her alive at least in her dreams. It caused her heart to ache with great intensity, as well as the fact that she had spoken to her friend like a little child defending their sibling seconds ago. She never expected a time when she would fear the anger of a person that close to her. 

Realizing that she had spent a lot of time sulking at the wall, Melinda turned around to face her friend, who appeared to be ready to burst into tears. She wanted to hug her and tell her everything would turn out fine, but that would have made her a hypocrite, for she herself did not believe it. Instead, she just sighed, deciding that the time had finally come for her to ask the question.

"What even happened in the first place?"

Several incoherent sounds came out of Wendy's mouth as she struggled to find words with which she would explain what had occurred at that meadow where the wind blew harshly, the shrivelled leaves lay dead over the still green ground, colourful flowers grew as a physical representation of hope and soaked up the remnants of the blood her coat didn't get to taste, and the bright blue sky and the elderly trees stood high above her, their eyes that of a judgmental witness. The fact that this picture came to her mind more clearly than the very clear deed she had committed signified that she refused to admit what she had done. Melinda's stare reminded her of that of the sky and trees, even though she looked as if she would tear up any time soon. After a while, she couldn't take it anymore. When she died, she couldn't bring her secret to the grave with her. Melinda would have found out otherwise anyway, which Wendy knew would be traitorous to let her do, as friends are supposed to tell each other everything.

"You must know that the situation with the Jones family isn't getting any better. As the last owners of the magic enhancers in the land, they have to get caught at some point. Amanda suggested that she shoots Finn if he refuses to hand over the complete amount of the substance the family possesses, which he did, although he too clearly wants it to stop. I tried to stop her, but it didn't work. We thought she had killed him in a moment, and as we were panicking, I used my coat to soak up some of the blood. The flowers had taken the rest. This is all that happened before the enemy had kidnapped me. I apologize for the folly."

"She sounds like a vigilante," Melinda remarked, rolling her eyes. "What made her think so recklessly and arrogantly?"

"Well, you also have impulses, so you aren't the person to judge," Wendy told her with a shrug.

Melinda furrowed her eyebrows. "Are you still mad at me because I stunned her that one time?"

"You channelled all your hatred into her, and she seemed as if she was in quite a lot of pain thanks to it!" Wendy complained.

"Alright, I admit that I was at fault, but still, who gave her the permission to shoot him?" she spoke, continuing immediately, even though Wendy appeared to have something to say. "If I had been involved, the problem would have been solved by now. I used to be a respected knight, and I am even the queen now, so it isn't too late yet. She has enough time to ask for help."

Wendy's jaw dropped once she grasped the implications. "I thought you and Ingrid were really close, so much so that the only person you were closer to was Maria-"

"Do not mention the name of that traitor in my presence," Melinda told her, gritting her teeth. "Also, you should stop being so naive. Ingrid will understand that they were meant to be caught someday anyway."

"What are you going to do to them?"

"Not much, of course. I am a reasonable person. I am only going to confiscate the substance so I can investigate it, welcome those who confess into my troops as a form of redemption and shortly imprison those who refuse to in the best conditions I can give them."

"I cannot complain about those circumstances. They are not blameless, and I too am now certain that Ingrid will learn to accept it. Farewell until the next time, my friend."

"Farewell," Melinda whispered softly with a smile on her face as she walked towards the front door.