Chapter 19 - A Lonely Day

In the day that followed, the memory of the previous day's visit to Hemingway's house became engulfed by fog due to the overwhelming familiarity of it, and Melinda allowed herself to sigh with happiness when Malcolm came into her room, not wanting to think of anything other than him. The romantic in her, as always, admired the sunshine and the clear blue sky and the nature outside, which left her to hope that he had come to take her for a walk during which they could talk to each other all day long. It would have been a most pleasurable thing, for she could talk to him about anything and would not lend a complaint. However, her theory was proven wrong the moment she had a glimpse of his grave facial expression.

"What is bothering you, my dear Malcolm?" she asked, her voice laced with deep sorrow.

"It is not as serious as I may have made it seem, but I have something to tell you," he responded after having sighed.

A woeful gleam appeared in her eyes. "I am not all that disturbed, knowing that there was never that much of a chance for something terrible to have happened in such a brief amount of time without more of a sign. What disturbs me is your general lack of ease, and when your heart hurts, mine feels all its anguish as well. It is a commitment that I regret having made at certain times, yet in the end, I realize that I cannot ever walk away from it, for there is not another person that could enthral me the way you do. Forgive me for the numerous words I have spoken. My heart was not able to hold them any longer."

He tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. "Thank you for reminding me of all the faith you have in me, although I could never forget it. You have assured me that you will never make a move against me, not that I am attempting to underestimate your intelligence, which I do not have any reason to do. All I intended to tell you was gratitude for your love, which consoles me whenever I ponder the caveats that come with it. Perhaps this situation shall take a turn for the better in the time that passes, whether it be sooner or later."

"I am grateful for this love as much as you are, Malcolm, but I must beseech you to return to the point of this conversation at once," Melinda said dryly.

He nodded. "I knew that I had forgotten something of great importance. There is a business trip I must go on for a week with my friend, Alexander Hill. Now, I hope that you will be capable of not yearning for me too much since I am already reluctant when it comes to this matter. This is everything that I am going to inform you of for the current period. I must leave this very moment, as I ought to be careful about my timing."

When he turned around, Melinda's eyes widened. "You have never told me about this friend of yours, and this would be a splendid opportunity for me to meet him at last, if it is proper, of course."

"It would not be proper in any manner," Malcolm remarked, frowning.

With those words of his, she commenced staring at the floor. "I apologize most earnestly."

He placed his hands on her chin, forcing her to look up. "It was not my intention to burden you whatsoever. I simply cannot bring you along thanks to the significance of the meeting. If you wish for you and Alexander to be acquainted that much, there will be other opportunities. Farewell, Melinda, and remember that I will come back shortly."

As she was about to greet him back, he left and slammed the door behind him in a hurry. After a long sigh, she went for a walk by herself, promising herself that she would be more productive the following day, smiling at the fact that the circumstances were right for her not to work on that one day. 

The first thing she did was visit the nearest meadow. Dressed in a plaid gown with mint-green, black and white patterns whose wide skirt reached her feet, with sleeves that extended to her palms, complete with a white bonnet which had a bow at the neck, behind which most of her hair could not be seen, with all her jewellery and makeup taken off, the scent of her perfume that was made of the finest roses in the land previously washed off, she slowly walked towards her destination.