Chapter 11

After making sure I had all of the information in one place, I decided to go for a walk so I could have a break. Georgia and Ava were sitting on a bench outside near the garden of the dynasty talking about the latest girl-stuff.

‘Ava,’ I said interrupting their conversation, ‘I just realised that you’ve been wearing the same clothes for a couple days now.’

‘Yeah,’ she frowned, ‘well, the only clothes, I get tend to be what I take.’ The black-soul side of her flashed through her.

‘How about you and Georgia go shopping until late afternoon?’ I suggested, ‘just whilst I sort some stuff out.’

‘I haven’t got any money.’ Ava explained. My dad’s the one with all the money and he thinks it’s a waste spending it on clothes when I can easily take some.

‘You don’t have to worry about that,’ I told her – and I meant it. ‘I’ll give you some money and you can pay me back whenever you can.’

‘Yeah, that’s a great idea.’ Georgia said as she pulled Ava up from the bench.

‘Here,’ I said as I dug through my wallet and handed her some notes, ‘have fun and be home by five – the latest.’

‘Thanks,’ Ava murmured as she accepted the money.

When my legs were stretched, I went back to work. There was only one thing that was distracting me...when Ava said she wasn’t going to be Avery Jones for much longer. What did she mean by that?

Shaking my head, I decided that Ava and I needed time for us. To do nothing that included something about work or the deal that I had made with her father and step-mother. Going online, I booked some tickets for ice-skating and phoned up a restaurant to save us a table after skating. Knowing that we were going to have some fun later tonight, I managed to focus on the work in front of.

I focused so much it wasn’t until Ashling knocked on the door to tell me that the girls were back from shopping. I looked at the clock and it was one minute to five.

Right on time, I said to Ava as I followed Ashling into the living room.

I am very skilled, you know. She said matter-of-factly with a flirtatious undertone.

Believe me...I think I know. I winked at her when she met my gaze. ‘So, show us what you got.’ I said out loud. We had an hour until we absolutely had to get going.

‘Well, I bought these,’ Ava pulled out skinny jeans in a variety of colours, ‘they were only a fiver each.’

‘That’s cheap,’ I looked at how many pairs she had, ‘four for twenty quid. Nice.’

‘Then I got some tops,’ she held up each individual ones, ‘do you like?’ She glanced at me, hoping I’d like them – which I did.