Chapter 5

Chapter 5

‘Are you serious?’ Ava said just before she started to walk away. ‘I thought you’d be the one person I could trust. How stupid was I?’ She turned away from me to head back to her motorcycle.

I grabbed her elbow on the fly and pulled her close to my hard frame. ‘Ava, she’s his twin-soul. He can’t lie to her or hide things from her. And she wanted to come so it wouldn’t seem so weird or intimidating having two guys and one girl.’

She chewed away angrily at her lip – a traitorous part of me found it very...appealing, even though I was here purely to help her. ‘Okay, fine.’ She sighed, ‘I’ll stay. But if I suspect anything...I’m gone, understand?’

I nodded, ‘Clear as glass.’

Glass can get foggy, I read her mind.

We walked into the Late Night Diner together. We must have looked like a bunch of outcasts and misfits that had grouped together. Ace was wearing just a plain top and his blue jeans. Ryvre was wearing her grey skinny jeans and a vest top that was just cut above her waist band to show off a little skin. She had topped this with a thin purple/grey cardigan. I was dressed in my black slim jeans and my white shirt that had the first couple of buttons open. Ava, she was the one who stood out the most. She was wearing a black dress that stopped mid-thigh and had an off-white lacy hem at the bottom that held a dark grey slip underneath which was slightly longer than the lacy hem. It also had two dark grey stripes under the bust. Ava matched it with some over the knee, dark grey socks and black knee-high boots – it looked sexy but sophisticated.

We sat down in the corner booth – the one furthest away from other people (and from the door). We let the waitress get our orders before we got down to business. She handed me a mug of coffee, Ryvre: a hot chocolate, Ace: a cappuccino and Ava: just a simple cup of tea.

‘Hi, Ava,’ Ace introduced himself, ‘I’m Ace and this is Ryvre. Sorry that we didn’t get to meet properly the other day.’

‘Look,’ Ava said, sounding fed up, ‘stop with the niceties and just get on with it. Can you help me or not?’ She showed him her arm which was covered in darkening finger marks and bruises.

‘Oh, sure,’ Ace was a little taken aback by how assertive she was. ‘Can I ask who did this to you?’

‘No one you need to know.’ She shot at him. It seemed like she had all her answers prepared and lined up.

‘Are you hurt anywhere else?’ Ryvre asked.

Ava just nodded and quietly said, ‘I don’t want to talk about it.’

Ace placed his hand on top of her marked arm and worked his powers. After five minutes Ace sat back and relaxed. Ava seemed to be in disbelief in how the marks were no longer visible nor did they hurt.

‘You’re okay now,’ Ace told her.

‘Thank you,’ she placed her hands on her lap, underneath the table and out of sight.