Chapter 16

'Hugh!' Ace fell out on to the roof, followed by Ryvre, Taran, Aura and Randy. 'We know, Ashling foresaw it – he told us how to bring her back.'

They all knelt beside me and Ava.

'How can you?' I wasn't letting despair take over just yet.

'Hugh, use your powers to manipulate Ava's soul to stay within her body.' Randy ordered and I followed suit.

I placed my forehead on Ava's, our lips so close that I could feel the ghost of our kisses. Closing my eyes, I begged her mind to stay; I begged with every beat of my heart, with everything that I was, that I am and that I will be. 'Don't leave me, Ava.' I murmured, 'don't leave. You stayed with me last time; you wanted to get through this and we did. Don't leave now that it's all over; not now that we've won.'

'Ace,' Randy continued to give out his orders, 'you heal any damage to her body or to her mind.'

Ace placed his hand on the back of Ava head as I held her up to support her. Ava's frame close to my own, I never wanted to let her go.

Don't ask me to let you go, I told her, I wouldn't be able to. I'll never let go of you – ever.

'Aura, you get oxygen into her body right now.' Randy demanded.

I moved out of the way, still holding on to Ava's lifeless hand. I squeezed it firmly – I wasn't letting her go – continuing to manipulate her mind into staying. As I sent out another pulse of my power, I felt a very faint, very weak...presence in Ava's mind. 'She's there!' I cried. I was certain although I was just assuming because I could always sense when Ava was near me.

'Taran, use your powers to will her to live. It's so much easier for her to slip away right now. It's crucial that she's determined to live.' Randy stood up and created a force field around us so no other influences could affect us or Ava. That way Ava's soul would stay close by if it did happen to leave her body.

'She's thinking of you, Hugh,' Ryvre informed me. That little piece of information made my hope escalate and I was trying to not let my happiness distract me.

'Freeze her thoughts on all the good times we've had together.' I told Ryvre.

I could sense it as well; Ava's mind was focusing on the reasons for her to live thanks to Taran and Ryvre. I decided to help.

I love you, Ava, I encouraged her, please don't leave me. When I proposed to you on that ice rink and you said yes, I felt life – a reason...a purpose. When you wake up, you'll be my wife. I promise you that. And I haven't gone back on any of my promises yet. When I first saw you...it was like I had come face-to-face with my destiny. Don't take that away from me. I love you, Ava – through everything and anything.

Ava began to shake violently and gasp like she was drowning.

'She's doing it!' Ryvre said with her own hope rising in her voice.

That's my girl.

'She's breathing...' Aura explained, 'hang on...something's not right...it's...it's like she's choking! Ace, quick, I don't know what's wrong. Is her airway blocked? Hurry, before she fades away.' Aura's panic was extinguishing some of the hope that I had built up inside me.

Come on, baby, I continued to encourage her to stay with me.

Ace pushed through like lightning to place his hands on Ava's chest. 'She's got some cracked ribs...' Right then I could see Ace working in a hospital, running on the ward to handle the emergencies. It seemed to take a really, really long time until Ace finally moved away and I heard him say, 'I managed to get the pain down to a dull ache, and I healed the ribs a little more so they're not crushing her lungs.'