Chapter 13

Ava's father had told us to meet him on neutral ground. Of all the places that this meeting could have been set up, they chose...Starbucks. Simple, stupid and yet wise – people would assume that we're all just family having a catch up over coffee. Being in public also prevents any chance of us using our powers in an obvious manner.

With the coffee shop in sight, I pulled Ava to a halt.

'Hugh, don't...' She thought I was going to stop her and go back on the deal.

'I only wanted a minute to tell you that I love you, remember what I said – trust me – and that however long it takes, we are getting out of this together. You and I will be together, no matter what.' I made my promise, kissed her gently on her lips and led the way with our fingers interlocked.

Pushing open the heavy glass door, the strong smell of caffeine hit my nostrils. I could sense this was going to be an unpleasant half hour. My eyes zeroed in on the tall, slender man who began to get up from his seat and was starring at us. His companion, Ava's step-mother, didn't bother to rise from her backside.

'Avery, my dear,' her father opened his eyes wide, waiting for Ava's compliance in what seemed like a greeting routine between them. Ava briefly hugged her father, who then patted her head like she was a kitten. 'You must be Hugh Hunter?' He offered his hand – for presentational reasons, no doubt.

'Yes, I am, sir.' I shook his hand – but dropped it as soon as I could. I learnt if you treat your enemies with respect then they will behave more kindly towards you – but only ever so slightly.

'I know you already met my wife,' Ava's father gestured to the evil woman beside him.

'Not quite, all I know is that she is Ava's step-mother.' I said, trying to sound like I was happy to be there.

'Oh, well, where are Avery's manners?' I hated the way he assumed it was Ava's fault. 'This is my wife, Harriet.'

'Are you twin-souls, Mr Jones?' I asked, curious to find out more about what happened to Ava's real mother.

'Please, call me Lyle. And no we are not. Ava's mother was my twin-soul.' He paused and turned to Harriet, 'why don't you get us some drinks? Keep up the family scene, eh, love?'

'Sure, what would everyone like?' Harriet asked with false cheeriness, it was clear that she wasn't happy to be pushed out of the conversation, especially when it was about Lyle's first love.

'Just a coffee please,' I answered.

'I will have a large cappuccino and Avery will have a medium tea.' Lyle said, smugly.

'Avery, why don't you help me?' Harriet suggested.

'No, Avery can stay with her daddy. I think it's time she listened about her mother – she's old enough now.' Lyle was obviously in charge and Harriet didn't like it.