Eight

I picked at the delicious looking steak, not once taking a bite of it. Will's haunting silver eyes hung in the back of my head, the article in my pocket feeling more like a bomb.

"You guys can speak French?" I repeated numbly.

"They can, I can't. You see, I grew up in a circus..." Hugh went on to describe life as a freak attraction.

Normally I would have loved to listen, but I was a little preoccupied with my thoughts.

"One, Two, Four and I had lived in France for a while." Will glanced at his father. "Right, Dad?"

"That's right." Pit agreed. "Ain't that where you met your ex?"

"Wait." I held up my hand to stop him. "Will has an ex?"

"Oh, yeah." His eyes clouded over slightly, a dreamy look on his face. "Francis and I dated for almost a year, we broke up because we were moving back to the States." He sighed, "God, I miss him."

"Hey, Dad, where's Matt?" Aquilo signed.

"He's with his brother, they're right over across the block." Pit said, taking a bite of his food. He still had the wheat in his mouth, for some odd reason. 

"So, Mr. Tr- Pit, where's your family from?" I asked, just to get the thought of Will's threat out of my head. 

"I grew up out in Louisiana, right down by the coast. I was the youngest out of thirteen children."

Suddenly the number of children Pit had seemed so small. "I'm sorry, thirteen?"

"My mama ran out of names by the time she got to naming me-"

"Dad, swear on Mama's grave, if you tell that story..." The corner of Flay's mouth twitched.

Ollie fake gagged, giggling to himself afterward.

"What story?" Now I was curious.

Will shot me a glance that can only be described as the look you would give a cat about to knock something over.

"Don't do it, Dad." Anubis rapidly shook his head.

"What in the fiery depths of Hell could be 'it' other than me?" Pit demanded.

"Dad, we're tired of your jokes." Flay rolled his eyes.

Fuck. I've been misgendering this man.

"Hi, tired, I use it/its pronouns." Pit responded.

Yep.

"Thank you for the meal, uh, do you want me to refer to you by masculine titles?" I pushed my still full plate away.

"Not hungry?" Pit asked, tilting its head. "That's alright. I'll save this for later." It picked up my plate, putting it in front of its own plate.

"I, uh, really should be going." I got up from my place at the table.

The vibes in this room were weird. Not in a comforting way, either. Like I was being set up to be murdered.

"Already?" Will frowned. "But you just got here!"

"I really do need to go." I headed straight for the door. "See you tomorrow?"

"Fine." He sighed.

And with that, I left.