CHAPTER 34

CAIDEN FULTON

The silence was peaceful. We didn't feel the need to talk. It wasn't forced. If we wanted to talk then we'd talk, but right now I was happy enough listening to Ella humming along to the music. Ever since we were younger she's had a beautiful, angelic voice when she sung. She never sang a lot, but when she did I stopped everything I was doing just so I could listen to her for no more than 30 seconds. I'm 95% sure Arson didn't catch onto the fact I'd turn the tv down when Ella started singing, and turn it back up when she stopped.

When Arson and I were 17 and Ella was 15 we had a friend who was 18 already, with a full silence. He used to drive us around everywhere (on the days Arson and I didn't illegally drive underage) we looked old enough so we were never questioned. Our friend, Arson and Ella used to scream song lyrics at the top of their lunges on those car trips. I was the only one that never sung seeing as I was too busy trying to focus in on Ella. She wouldn't even remember our friend now, due to her memory loss and all cause of the car accident. For her, that person will forever remain forgotten; just the way it's supposed to be.

"Do you mind if I make a quick stop?" I questioned, glancing at Ella. My eyes lingered on her face longer then they should have. Her eyes were closed, her lips were pulled into a lazy smile. She looked care free and calm. She opened a single eye, glancing at me, her eyes bouncing from my undone top button to my face.

"You're the captain" She shrugged, her eye staying open for a moment longer as she flashed me a small smile before she closed it again, her lips pulling back into the same unbothered smile she had moments prior. I instantly swerved right, Ella gasping as I imagined her eyes bulging out of her head at the sudden jerk.

"Mother fucker" She yelled slapping my left arm, a loud laugh leaving my lips. I grinned widely as I turned to look at her. She was trying to pull a seriously pissed off face but she was failing horribly, her lips being sucked into her mouth so she wouldn't let me see her smile. I moved my hand from the gear stick, patting her thigh lightly with a smile, the small touch acting as an apology. It didn't pop into my head now that maybe she was still iffy when it came to being in cars, especially fast moving ones. I know she wasn't fazed by my sudden swerve then, but were there ever times she was in a car with someone where her heart raced a little too fast, her mind flashing back to the accident? I hope not. I pulled up out the front of a small white florist, putting the car in park but leaving the keys in so the air conditioner and radio didn't turn off on Ella. She was humming along to an Adele song when she opened her eyes, her humming taking a break as she looked out the window, her eyebrows creasing in confusion. She could pull any face and she'd still look unbelievably gorgeous. The wind could change at anytime, any day, and I'd thank it for blessing my eyes.

"Florist... Outside...darker clothes-" Ella spoke slowly, pointing at my attire, trying to piece together the apparent puzzle I had bestowed upon her.

"You've brought me along to attend a funeral haven't you? The only thing missing is the incredibly cliché moody funeral forecast" I snorted, sucking my cheeks into my mouth as I looked outside the window of my car into the windows of the florist, elderly women wrapping bouquets and bunches of mismatched flowers.

"You got me. Caught red handed" I answered teasingly, glancing back to Ella, her eyebrows raising as she slowly nodded her head in thought.

"Unnecessary sarcastic tone, creepily joyous grin for a funeral , caught red handed with, in fact, zero red hands... I'm lost. Please tell me what we're doing" Ella pleaded, a pout on her face. My eyes rested on her mouth, a smile coming to my face as I shook my head. I raised an arm, bringing my hand to her face, pinching her lips, her pout staying as I pulled back.

"You only had one guess and you wasted it, better luck next time" I mocked her pout, winking at her as I opened the car door, stepping out and shutting it behind me.