Primed Part 20

CHAPTER TEN: SPYDER'S LATE NIGHT BITE

"Hello, Jacqueline." I forced myself to make eye contact with her.

"Finally, you are done. I thought you would take all day." Jacqueline's upper lip snarled up as if I was so despicable to her that I caused a physical reaction. I could easily imagine her adding a word like "peasant" to her comment if she could get away with it.

"Sorry." I started walking away.

"By the way, tell Jake he owes me for picking up Mother's most recent party supplies and ruining my dress in the process."

I nodded and headed back to Jake. Jacqueline was a pain in both worlds.

"There you are, Kayla." Jake stood as I stepped out on the veranda, "I was getting concerned you would not be returning."

"Sorry, I ran into Jacqueline." I took my seat as Jake pulled it out for me. "By the way, she is not happy right now."

"Do not be concerned about her. She is always disconcerted about something. She takes after mother in that way." Jake sat again. "Enough about her. Let's get back to the fun of the TDT Wars."

"Interesting way to phrase it."

I was surprised when another hour flew by.

Jake viewed the ocean where the sun was noticeably lower compared to when we started. "Perhaps I should usher you home before it gets dark."

I agreed and stuffed my books back in my bag. The journal in the bathroom caused my head to hurt for a moment when I remembered it. I swung my backpack on my back and asked, "Would you mind if I use your restroom again?"

"Of course." Jake bowed slightly.

I walked away quickly before he could offer to hold my bag. I locked the bathroom door behind me and was relieved to find the journal right where I left it. I placed it gently in my bag and then decided to actually use the restroom this time. After washing my hands, and grabbing my bag, I opened the door to again find Jacqueline there.

"Is using the facilities all you do?" She hissed.

I turned toward her. "Well, apparently I also drink too much lemonade."

I heard Jake's laughter behind me. "Jacqui, you have got to be nicer to our guests. She is not asking you why you seem to be hovering around the restroom, so you should not bother her with your incessant tirades. Come, Kayla. Let me escort you home." Jake offered his arm to help me down the stairs and I accepted.

I didn't need super hearing to her Jacqueline's shrill voice this time. "Do. Not. Call. Me. Jacqui!"

Jake's servants had prepared the coach and even placed a small wooden stepping stool to make getting in the carriage easier. The servant offered his hand to help me up into it and Jake climbed on the other side.

"I really must apologize again for my sister. I believe she is a good person in her heart...deep down in her heart...really deep down inside...but lately she has chosen to not focus on that part of her." Jake guided the horse and carriage down the drive.

"She doesn't...does not bother me."

"Good, she is not worth your concern." Jake glanced at me with a look that made me really feel special.

The rest of the ride home we chatted about life on the island. Jake asked me about my hometown. Since I wasn't quite sure what to say about "back east," I kept directing the line of questions back to him and his stories about Coronado.

We arrived back at my dad's home as the sun was starting to go down. Jake helped me out of the carriage. I was pleased I was able to get down without any of my klutziness shining through. I nervously touched my skirt pocket and felt the key in place.