Primed Part 30

CHAPTER NINETEEN: WISHING FOR A STUNT DOUBLE

Spyder was surprisingly docile throughout the afternoon. Although anytime I looked over at him, he seemed to be watching me as if I was the one under observation instead of him.

When we weren't taking turns watching Spyder, we were brainstorming what Wu had planned.

There were still things we didn't yet know. Apparently, Wu was concerned his henchmen wouldn't be too good with the rifles, so he preferred to gas the crowd. We still didn't know if the gas masks were the ones Spyder had purchased or if there were others. We also didn't know how many people in the audience would be part of Wu's attack team, if any. Although if people in the crowd suddenly put gasmasks on, I guessed we'd know they were with Wu.

Spyder still had on the same outfit as before but Michael had loaned Dad some clothes and they now resembled Newsies musical cast members more than people preparing to stop an evil plot. As long as we were successful, I didn't care how they dressed.

There was a knock on the front door. We all froze in place wondering if it would be Wu's men...although why would they knock? Michael answered then called out to me, "Kayla, you have a delivery."

I saw the same delivery guy who had brought other clothes to me earlier in the week. He said, "Young Master Wu said you needed a pantsuit immediately. We have been working on it for the past several hours, so I hope you find it meets your approval."

"Thank you." I took the garment bag. Jake Prime's attention to detail was impressive. He must have stopped by the store on his way home in the morning. It reminded me of how Jake back home knew to give me keys to his car so I could get my luggage. Although I missed Jake on my world, I was fascinated by Jake Prime. I wondered if, given another opportunity, Jake Prime would kiss me.

I took a shower, hating how I had to do so much work to heat and pump the water, and changed into the new outfit. It turned out to be a very feminine pantsuit, which resembled a dress from most angles. The material was a dark gray with a skirt fitted through the hips but very loose on the legs and hit at the ankle. The matching jacket was formfitting but still allowed the white and gray striped blouse underneath it to show near the neck. I pulled my hair into a ponytail figuring I would want it out of the way. My school ankle boots worked well with it.

When I walked back to the living room, Michael and Spyder were calling each other names again.

"What in the world are you too arguing about now?" I asked.

"Maddening Man thinks David Tennant was the best Doctor," Spyder said.

"Well, Dung-Beetle here thinks Jodie Whittaker was better which is just ridiculous," Michael said, "He obviously only watched a small portion of the Doctor Who Marathon during his visit to have such views."

"Okay, I am officially worried. We have a mission in a couple of hours, and the two of you are arguing about Doctor Who? When did you have time to see it? How did you even watch it?" I fumed but was secretly amused about the conversation and was curious when either would have had time to view the series. "No wonder Spyder didn't try to kill me sooner—he was too busy watching shows. Plus, you both obviously forgot Matt Smith should be the winner if for no other reason, he was younger and hotter when he was the Doctor."

"Yes, indeed, Kayla. Do not select either of their two choices but choose a third option instead." Dad entered with some tea. Of course, it would be tea. What else would it be? "Hmm."

"What are you 'hmm'-ing about?" I asked.

"All three of you are two-worlders. You are a rare group and you are all together. Here. Right now. It is pretty amazing," Dad said as he organized the papers.