thirty-five: the heir

The wolf stood before him with a calculated stare, back straightened, hawking over Lilian’s short stature. His Beta was holding on to herself, clearly not amused with Talon’s domineering stance.

Nathaniel breathed heavily only to regret when Katie’s scent entered his nostrils. He grimaced, treading the space between them. His eyes narrowed to where Katie’s smell was coming from, Talon’s neck. It also didn’t help that the wolf was wearing a v-neck shirt, showing too much of his neck and Katie’s mark.

Now, Katie was officially not his problem.

Was he a bad person to feeling happy for that?

Throwing his thoughts aside, he took Lilian’s side and face the Alpha and his entourage.

“Praise be, Alpha Talon.” He greets.

Lilian scoffs.

“Yes, praise my clit, Alpha Highcliff.” Lilian spat, crossing her arms over her chest.

Nathaniel’s brows meet together. He wasn’t surprised nor was he disappointed but maybe her invitation or threat was crossing the line. Lilian was a loose cannon and even he was afraid to tell her no sometimes. His last Beta surrendered and cried himself to sleep after Lilian threatened the poor soul.

Talon showed no reaction and ignored Lilian’s greeting. He moves towards him, stretching his hand forward. Formalities were the only option and despite Nathaniel’s memories jumping back to the moment his nose was broken by the wolf in front of him, he took his hand and shook it firmly.

“Forgive my Beta,” he glances at Lilian, her vexed expression caused him to immediately look away.

“If you allow me, Alpha Morris. I don’t wish to entertain the mouths of a child oblivious of decorum.” Talon spoke plainly.

“You are all huff, coming here, pretending that nothing is wrong.” She growled. “A wolf such as yourself does not have the right to step a foot on our pack.”

Before anything else was said and done, Nathaniel rests his hand on her shoulder.

“The wolf in our storeroom, Beta. Prepare him and inform the wolves guarding our guest to tell him to ready himself as well. That will be all, thank you.”

She kisses her teeth, sending Talon a barrage of glacier-like daggers through her eyes before she turns to her Alpha.

“Your will be done, Alpha Morris.”

She stomps her foot past Talon, her tenacity and unabashed hate for the other Alpha showing through with every loud step of her foot. Nathaniel stares at her retreating form, unable to deny the feeling that Lilian might have had other reasons to be upset with Talon. Whatever it is, he had no plan to question it and he certainly had no desire to doubt his Beta.

He turns his attention to the wolf in front of him. Talon’s stubborn, rueful glance was the same as Selena's. Even if one of his eyes were out of commission and all remained was a scar, the resemblance was uncanny.

“Lilly is still quite colorful with her use of the English vocabulary I see,” Talon says, shrugging his shoulders.

He raises a brow. No one calls his Beta that name except if they wanted a jab in their guts.

“She’s a hardworking wolf but goes on her way to display her devotion.”

“I can see that,” Talon nods. “Before anything is spoken, I am thankful you have held my cousin. I hope you see our shaking hands as a truce.”

“Yes,” he says. He was more than willing to finish everything swiftly. He had planned on drilling Francis after his conversation with the wolf and whatever happens after, he needed to act acutely. “Follow me to the upstairs parlor, please. There’s much to discuss and to do it in an open space is dangerous. Wolves have ears.”