Chapter Twenty-Seven - Ira of Sar

It's official, but it's also been a long time coming: Aster Wilmick is not just a fool, he is an idiot. Does he really think that Evelyn being controlled by her blood? Does he really suppose that Evelyn is trying to intercept his mission? Does he really please all this nonsense?

And now here she is, a mess on the floor, and all because of him. I knew he couldn't come down to anything productive. I knew he wasn't good enough. I knew this was all tomfoolery.

I look out the window, viewing the scene below. Now the boy has managed to get himself into a mess with the Poulliese government. Now General Welk is involved, and everything is sure to get chaotic soon.

This boy was fueled by emotion far too much. He has now left Evelyn in an attic room, and achieved only the words, "You're under arrest." Wonderful, Mr. Wilmick. Wonderful job. Part of me loathes that boy.

But I know Evelyn cares for him, and I suppose that should count for something.

General Welk steps closer to the convicts, as if he's trying to trap a vicious animal without scraping himself. "Aster Wilmick." Then his eyes brighten with enlightenment. "Vena Aece. Nat Rookwood." He grins. "You do realize that you have wanted charges? And you do realize that those charges have been sent with informants throughout the continent? We have all records of everyone wanted, do you realize that?"

Get on with it, old man.

"Vena Aece, charged with massacre and sentenced to a lifetime in a Poulliese prison." The general smiles at that, as if pleased with the prospect. He is Poulliese, after all. "Aster Wilmick, the leader of the crew who incited the massacre two years ago. You were charged with killing thousands of innocents, and sentenced to burn at the stake."

Was this man really going to go through all their charges, giving them a chance to escape? This is all nonsensical.

"And Nat Rookwood." The general laughs at this one. "Charged with kidnapping Zalia Felipe." He raises a pistol. "You are to be shot on sight."

The gun sounds, three bullets whizzing out of the hole, and I watch in horror as Nat crumples to the earth. Evelyn screams his name, but she can do nothing. I can do nothing.

Nat is gone now.

"Take them," Welk orders. "Dump the body at the port. Get the other two into the carriage. Wilmick is to be burned tomorrow. Send Aece back to Poulli for imprisonment."

Vena and Aster make a run for it, but are caught by the guards who were concealed in the shadows. Durgat the shadows.

Soon enough, both of them are in prison carts, rolling off to bear their charges—one to die in the dank cold of a cell, and one to die in the roaring flames of a fire.