Chapter Five

My blood sizzles on the red-hot coals. I am selfish because I am brave.

I hear a bunch of gasps from Abnegation and whispers from Erudite before the roar of Dauntless overpowered their shock.

I look behind me to see Tobias' face which is a mix of joy, fear, and doubt.

My eyes shift to Abnegation to see my father, crestfallen that I wouldn't be in his faction and my mother worried but proud.

I am engulfed by my new faction who are hollering for the first Abnegation transfer in years. Eventually Max calms them down and is able to go on with the ceremony.

I look towards my eyes on the floor and stand behind the Dauntless-born initiates who chose to return to their own faction. They are all taller than I am, so even when I lift my head, I see only black-clothed shoulders. When the last girl makes her choice—Amity—it's time to leave. The Dauntless exit first. I walk past the gray-clothed men and women who were my faction, staring determinedly at the back of someone's head.

But I have to see my parents one more time. I look over my shoulder at the last second before I pass them, and immediately wish I hadn't. My father's eyes burn into mine with a look of accusation. At first, when I feel the heat behind my eyes, I think he's found a way to set me on fire, to punish me for what I've done, but no—I'm about to cry.

Beside him, my mother is smiling as if I had done the best thing in the world.

All of a sudden, I hear a name I would never forget.

"Eaton, Tobias"

I connect my eyes with my best friend since childhood. I can see the fear in his eyes but I also see determination. Determination to get away from his father, away from responcibilities as Marcus Eaton's son, the future Abnegation leader.

He walkes up to the podium with slightly trembuling hands and I already know what his decision will be. He uses the blade that was handed to him to slice his palm, unknowingly going deeper than most, without an ounce of pain as he raises his arm above the lit coals and lets his blood drip down to meet the burning rock below.

"Dauntless"

For the seccond time in this cerimony there was muttering amongst Abnegation that was drowned out by the roar of cheers from the brave faction. I looked towards the grey clad faction to see Marcus Eaton looking infuriated before managing to get his emotions under control.

I was so tempted to rebel against the grey I have seen from birth and say a few choice word along with a few actions my old faction would shun.

Tobias sees the glint in my eyes, that only he knows how to detect, and quickly grabs my hand before I do anything to embarress him or myself. As his hand slowly slip into mine, a shiver wracks my entire body, as if I was outside in only a dress in the middle of winter.

Before I know it, the ceremony is over and Tobias pulls me by my hand out the door with the everyone else who chose Dauntless, most taller then myself. It was mainly black as far as my eyes could see but there were glimpses of bright yellow and orange, black and white, and blue. The only other person wearing grey was the boy running alongside me.

All of the times Tobias and I snuck away to run rampade through the streets of the city came to good use as many of the transfers couldn't keep up with the Dauntless borns. Tobias and I were hot on their heels, which the Dauntless borns were surprised about.

We burst out of the room, hundreds of thundering steps lead to the stairs and I am soon on the streets sorounded by familliar paths, only they seem so different now. We all of a sudden stopped and the one thing going through my head was;

Oh no. We're catching the train

Unlike the other new transfers I ran ahead like the Dauntless now dragging Tobias, trying to gain an advantage.

The train soon turned the corner and as I was gaining momentum by the headstart, both of my feet managed to tumble into the first carrage where the other grey clad person was.

I saw that the other people in there were all dressed in black. I noticed that all of them were agitated but it seemed odd. They were all staring at us, the only ones not dressed in the dark leather of Dauntless. They were glaring at us, as if we were a problem, or a peice of dirt on their shoes.

"What's your names, Stiffs?" One of the boys in the carrage asks and that's when I feel the anger radiating off of Tobias. I grab his hand to calm him down, but it is noticed by the leather clad teenagers, Tobias' glare was the only thing keeping them from commenting.

A/N:

Sorry for the long wait.

How long was the wait??

Anyways, I finally got the motivation and ideas to keep on writing so hopefully I will be publishing a bit. My friends and I are also working on a few stories in the background at the moment and we will be happy to start publishing them soonish, depending on motivation and school.

If you would like to reccomend fandoms and book ideas we will be greatful to listen to any suggestions. 

Also if you want to see anyone featured in one of our stories, don't be afraid to speak up and we might give them a small snippet and feature them. 

As for my other story "His Promise". This story is about the Marauders Era of the Harry Potter Fandom and I am waiting to read All The Young Dudes to get a better understanding of the timeline and to hopefully add in my character. I unpublished it so I wouldn't have to feel pressured into writing more chapters that I have no ideas what will happen in them. If you have anyother suggestions I'm open to hearing about them.

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer, comment them here.

Your amazing writer,

Slytherdor