15 - Reunite

Long runs around your neighborhood became routine for you in the early morning and late evening, trying to build some stamina and endurance in anticipation for the Sports Festival. You weren't able to jog in the evening during weekdays, though, which allowed you a break and an opportunity to rest.

During your runs, you were careful to avoid the Todoroki Household, or running in the direction of it. You didn't want to be asked about it later on, although Todoroki-Kun seemed to be giving you more space.

Of course, you told him about your mother's pregnancy, and he responded with a half-hearted congratulations, not sure how to address the situation with the knowledge he had of your family life.

You couldn't blame him. He was trying to be nice, after all.

Father had extended his business trip on the basis of an emergency. Mother told him over the phone of her pregnancy, and you were delighted to discover afterwards that he reacted cordially. It made it easier for you to sleep at night knowing he wasn't going to storm back home and take control. At least, not right now.

Your commissions were finished as of Sunday, and you already deposited the agreed amount of money into your father's account.

At 5:00 A.M., you were on your run for the day. You noticed you were able to go faster for longer, and not run out of breath so quickly anymore.

Your hair was in a ponytail, wearing a teal-colored elastic hairband and a thick beige jacket with fur on the collar, black workout leggings with a red stripe down the outside seam, and your Hawks brand tennis shoes.

Your phone was strapped to your arm, and you were just about ready to turn back and get ready for the day. You went farther than you normally would today, and you were proud of yourself.

You saw a figure in the distance, not particularly caring one way or another who it was, and turned around, just as you realized who it was.

You wanted to run as fast as humanly possible.

"Oi, Hanae!"

You ran.

"Hey, wait up!"

You didn't wait up. But then you forgot who you were dealing with.

They caught up to you and grabbed you by your shirt collar, yanking you backwards without a single regard to you or your throat that they just choked.

"How's it been, sweetheart?" That familiar face smiled so twistedly. You felt bile rise in your throat as you straightened up, touching your neck tenderly.

"Hello, Tadao-San," You sounded like you hadn't spoken in days, but being yanked on by the collar of your shirt probably didn't help.

Tadao-San smiled at you, towering over you with his hands on his hips.

"Aw, we're going back to honorifics, are we?" he said, leaning close to your face. "I thought we were past that phase, dear."

"I would appreciate you not calling me that," you said casually, straightening up and backing away as much as you could without treading on someone else's yard.

"Well, what am I supposed to call you?" He asked curiously, tilting his head.

"My name would work fine, thank you."

"Ahohoho, I see how it is..." you started walking again, and he followed alongside you. "You're just being sensitive, babe."

You stiffened. "Please don't call me that."

"Why not?"

"Because I am not yours," you said firmly. "You have no right to call me that, not without my permission."