Chapter 2

June ran like she had never run before.

She rarely did any physical exercise but years of driving her bike everywhere had toned her legs. She could hear voices calling out behind her, but she didn't dare look back and check if the boys were actually in pursuit.

Buildings, pavement, leaves, people—all flew by in a blur. Even when she finally glimpsed her hale navy house and its welcoming porch, she knew she could not relax yet.

She ran across the yard, up the wooden porch steps, pushed the front door open, and finally stepped into the safety of her living room. Her grandmother looked up from the couch. She was shuffling through some colorful brochures.

"Oh, hi, dear! I picked up a new bunch of university pamphlets again, from the community center today. I think you should—"

Grandmother Dahlia finally noticed her trembling, probably white as a sheet, her back to the door she had immediately shut. "What is wrong with you? And, please remove your muddy shoes off my new rug."

"Punch...blood...boys..." Still panting, June could barely get the words out while taking off her shoes.

Grandmother Dahlia stared at her with concern. "Are you all right, dear?"

June shook her head vehemently. "No. Is the kitchen door locked? Please help me close all the windows." She knew she was shrieking the words out, but she didn't care. She walked over to the other side of the room and started checking windows, to her grandmother's increasing bewilderment.

Their house was actually quite lofty to neighborhood standards. Café Dahlia's popularity ensured them, if not a wealthy lifestyle, at least a comfortable one, which meant that their house was well-cared-for and only seldom required repair. Her grandmother's loving touch could be felt in every corner. Grey couch, white curtains, silver rugs on shiny wooden floors. The color scheme showed the understated elegance also apparent in Café Dahlia's interior.

Still, June now wished for modern security installations. And, she wished they didn't have as many glass windows or that what they had weren't as expansive, even though she knew they let in the bright early morning sunshine so beautifully.

"What is wrong with you?"

June couldn't afford to answer. She ran to the kitchen to lock the back door. Knowing her grandmother, it was probably ajar. Unlike most of Chepstow, their neighborhood was generally peace-loving and, having lived here for so many years, her grandmother had grown so trusting.

She was dismayed to find more windows wide open. Grandmother Dahlia probably wanted the fresh air to come in. But, that meant June now had to spend a lot of time closing them all one by one, and making sure they were tightly latched. As she did so, she scanned their backyard. All seemed quiet. The massive oak tree, on which rested her childhood treehouse, stood as still as ever, save a few leaves dancing in the breeze.

When she came back into the living room, her grandmother had an annoyed expression. "June, what are you doing? Have you been reading too many picture books again? I swear, all those monsters with, uhmm, tentacles and, uh, multiple heads splattered across the covers! I can't even dare to open them! God knows what other horror awaits inside!" She punctuated each sentence with angry waves of her arms, still clutching the pamphlets.

Frustration stirred within June. Blaming her manga, at this time, was beyond absurd. "No, Grams, listen —"

But Grandmother Dahlia, now back to skimming the pamphlets, interrupted, "No, Junifer Guinn, if you come home looking that..." she couldn't seem to find the best word for the eyesore that was currently June, "...disheveled because of something you have read, then it is high time we ban those books! I should have done so a long time ago. I should have put my foot down when your grandfather allowed you to pick up your first one when you were 11. You know, I had hesitations even then. Yes, I did! I took one glance at that cover and knew it was going to give you nightmares. But, your grandfather, he had never been able to say no to you, giving you everything you want..."