Chapter 5

June's alarm clock promptly went off at 7.30am.

She turned it off and rolled over in bed. In what seemed mere seconds later, her grandmother was jolting her awake.

"June, wake up. It's your first day. You don't want to be late."

June groaned and nodded her head. Her grandmother left her room to prepare her breakfast. After a few more minutes of staring at the ceiling and getting her bearings, June finally pulled herself out of bed. She took a moment to try to remember if she showered yesterday, then gave up as it made her head ache.

Whatever. Not showering today.

She brushed her teeth, put on the first clothes she could grab, ran her fingers through her hair before pulling them up into a hasty ponytail, and then went downstairs to eat breakfast.

Her grandfather, reading the paper while chewing his eggs, peered at her from behind the Business Section, "Eat fast, June. We need to leave earlier than usual if I have to drop you off at school as well."

June nodded, and, while wolfing down the last of her toast, sent a quick text to Kedz. "Can't ride with you. Bike tire still flat. Gramps driving me."

June was glad her grandparents did not ask too many questions last night. They readily accepted her haphazard explanation that she fell off her bike when her tire exploded and the run home made her heady, hence her almost delirious state last night. As for how the bike was suddenly on their porch again, June proposed the theory that someone who had witnessed the incident probably decided to be a Good Samaritan.

On the ride to school, her grandfather raised the matter of her university applications again.

"You need to at least go through those pamphlets your Grams brought home. You might discover what you want to do, or what kind of environment you want to spend the next four years in." At least, her grandfather was gentler in his lecture today, probably still feeling sorry for her mishap last night.

He continued, "We would be happiest, of course, if you choose somewhere near, here in Washington state. So you could come home more often. But, you know the best schools have limited spots. And, if you put it off too long, or without exemplary grades, it would be a bit difficult to argue that you deserve one of the few spots available."

As Grandfather Dwight took the last turn to Chepstow High School, June grunted assent just to put a stop to the conversation. "Yes, Gramps. I'll work on my application ASAP."

When she got out of the car, June immediately looked across the street at Clearwater High School. The school gardeners had apparently gotten busy over the summer. The large courtyard in front of the main building looked vibrant with new sods. And, blooming rose bushes adorned the walk up to the main building.

As she stepped onto the pedestrian crossing, she wondered just how much money the school had shelled out for the makeover.

SCREECH ----

June looked up, startled. A yellow sedan had careened through a red light and almost hit her. Had the driver stepped on the brake even just a second later, June would have been flattened.

Rigid with shock and anger, June peered through the car windshield, but was taken aback to see Parker Metzer on the passenger seat. Even in her state, June noticed he looked extra adorable today.

Wavy brown hair she itched to mess up further. Soulful brown eyes she could get lost in. Soft, full lips that ached to be ---

Alarmed to realize where her thoughts were drifting, June tried to avert her gaze. But, the concern in his eyes was her undoing.