Ch. 15 | Pick Up The Phone + Harbinger

Yeah, there's no good excuse as to why this this is written so dramatically but Y'know, I feel like I girl-bossed a little too close to the sun with this chapter. Also, that song is a bop.
- Ms. Lucid

~

[3rd POV]

Our usual suspects ran through every semblance of an idea on what to do in their minds. Knowing their luck, Pico had gotten home already and was racing over to get Keith. Not just that, but the fact that Senpai was going to arrive at the gang's current hideout; Nene's Apartment. It was anxiety inducing for all the young adults. Many were contemplating allowing the police to take over from here, hoping they had enough evidence to convince them of the crime committed. However, the thought of 'what if' lingered in their heads along with the first.

Keith was currently sitting on the couch, next to Darnell. Both were on the same level, carefully conversing in a low tone as if the floor beneath them would shatter if they were even half an octave louder. Nene on the other had changed clothes and was now pacing around her living room. She made sure to keep her phone on her hip. "Nene, Wanna sit?" Darnell asked the lady now glaring at him. "No. I don't know how either of you could be sitting right now." She poisoned each word, allowing venom to float through her tone. He glared right back, getting up and approaching her.

Darnell grab Nene by the waist and threw her over his shoulder, holding her there for a moment before moving back over to the couch, sitting her down next to Keith. "You're gonna need that energy, save some for what needs to done." The man commented, taking a seat right next to her and holding her waist tight. Her face was slightly turning red but the color quickly drained when she saw the blue-nette shift. "You know you don't have to feel guilty? You wanted the violence to end and in a state of paralyzing guilt, you got with him." Nene commented, giving her eyes to the very obviously nervous & guilty man before her. "Nene!" Darnell snapped looking at her due to her brash comment. Keith sighed, shaking his head mumbling an "it's fine."

"However, I should feel guilty. I was naïve and didn't think about anything but my own redemption and stopping him." Keith stated, pulling on his hoodie strings in an attempt to distract himself. "Bro, Pico would've done this whether you got back with him or not. You can't control him, and you didn't cause him to be like this. Your only mistake was going back to him." The taller male spoke up, earning a slap on the arm from Nene. "No. Don't blame him for being in love with the guy he was dating for most of high-school and through college. That's so unfair." She snapped back, evening out the score. Keith hung his head lower, looking away from the two. "I'm just saying, He left for a reason-" Darnell's words were cut off by the doorbell.

Nene was the first one to sprint to get the door from the couch, moving at the speed of light. Keith was up next, following behind her to the door. Darnell stayed back slightly, treading carefully and keeping his hands in his pockets. He knew this was about to be a rude awakening. For not only them but everyone else who would have to get involved at some point soon.

Nene let the blonde haired man in, who was covered in cuts, hands wrapped in somewhat bloodied bandages, and bruises that had band-aids over them on his arms. It was obvious to the three that the man had been through hell and somehow came back. Senpai gave a look of hope to Keith with the mindset that he was okay and he hadn't failed completely. On the other hand, Keith wanted to disappear after seeing Senpai so ripped and torn to shreds.

"Senpai! You're okay, Thank god!" Nene grabbed and held him, while Keith went behind them and shut the door and locked it. "I'm so sorry." Keith gave a heavy toned apology and returned back to where he was sitting. Senpai nodded in response, knowing nothing that happened was actually Keith's fault. "Senpai, Man, I'm glad you're alive. Yet, we actually need to talk. Bad things are happening and we need to pull what we know." Darnell's deep voice rebounded on the walls of the room as he talked, serious. Unfortunately, the time to celebrate wasn't near and so much had to be done. He was right.