C H A P T E R 6

— • —

Chapter 6

Shao Ling arched his brows at the man who was wearing a dark green robe; his hair was tied in a high, clean ponytail; his midnight black eyes were big and fierce; and his eyebrows were thick and slick. The man only fixated his eyes on Shao Ling's direction with a wide, welcoming smile on his face, as if Shao Ling were the only one welcome inside the Mist Temple.

"This humble one's name is Xun with a surname of Huang. May I know why Yun Sect Master Shao Ling is in the Mist Temple?" The man wearing a dark green robe whose name was Huang Xun spoke with a smile.

Shao Ling didn't answer, so Xin Mei spoke in his stead because she knew that her master only came with them because he was worried if something happened when she accidentally sparked the emergency fireworks. Xin Mei was guilty deep inside because her master was still not well, so she took a step forward and started to speak. "I'm really sorry. But I thought that someone was in danger when I heard someone scream."

Huang Xun shifted his gaze at her, and his welcoming smile became a slight smile as he replied, "That is fine. We don't mind. Right, Ah-Yuan?" Huang Xun turned his head at his companion, who was wearing old clothes.

( adding —ah before a name is considered as being intimate or close with that person, like your family, your friend or your lover. )

The man named Yuan only looked at him and redirected his attention back to cutting wood with the axe in both hands. Huang Xun pouted his lips in dejection and shifted his gaze back to Xin Mei. "Why have you come here?" Huang Xun asked, with a faint suspicion and hostility in his tone.

"The truth is, the elders gave us a mission that a demon gate had opened in the west town area. So me and my shidi, Lian Ren, tried to find the demon gate, but we still haven't found it," Xin Mei answered.

A loud banging sound caught everyone's attention. The four of them looked in Yuan's direction, who penetrated the blade of his axe in the trunk of the tree with a large force. Yuan lifted his gaze at Xin Mei and the others, his eyes radiating a faint, dull red glow. "There is no such thing as a demon gate here. You must get out of here before the elders find out."

Huang Xun frowned in bewilderment. "A-Ah-Yuan?"

Lian Ren, who was watching them the whole time behind, let out an amused grin. He took a few steps forward until he was beside Shao Ling's figure and spoke, "You seem quite persistent. Do you really want us to get out? Or are you hiding something inside here?"

Yuan didn't answer. He lowered his gaze to the woods and continued cutting them. Shao Ling and Huang Xun blinked in bewilderment and looked at each other. "I'm sorry, Yun Sect Master Shao Ling. A-Ah-Yuan is uncomfortable with strangers, and he always ends up being hostile with them." Huang Xun apologized while scratching his head with an apologetic smile.

"How long is that man here?" Shao Ling asked as he arched his brows.

Huang Xun answered, "We have been here for ten years. Ah-Yuan is my childhood friend, and we lived together in this isolated temple in exchange for freedom in taxes, but the elder's condition is letting us guard the Mist Temple and live here at the same time."

Shao Ling nodded. "I see." His arms moved to embrace his body because of the cool breeze that brushed through his skin. Lian Ren stared beside him, and his gaze lowered to the thin, plain white night robe that Shao Ling was wearing in his pavilion. "Tch...." Lian Ren removed his plain white outer robe and covered Shao Ling's trembling body. Shao Ling was astonished by Lian Ren's actions, and he also took a quick glance at him with a puzzled expression, but he didn't dare to show it in front of his disciples.